A Bridge to Exomunia

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Joshua Lemons, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

My local area has little in the ways of numismatic history. Though, there do exist some rather scarce national bank notes. So, for local coin related items I often have to turn to exomunia.
    The Ohio river bridge at Cairo, IL is about a twenty minutes drive from my house. I've traversed the structure hundreds of times, whether to buy alcohol (before our city went wet), to the yearly trips to Missouri to get fireworks for Independence Day.
    The bridge was constructed between 1936-38, opening in the fall of that final year.
    Plans are for the bridge to be demolished soon and replaced by a new wider bridge as the existing bridge is very narrow with an extremely tight turn to navigate getting on the Kentucky side.
    Pictured is a wooden nickel souvenir from the celebration of the opening of the bridge. From what I gather, it was a big ordeal!
    Polish_20230606_012623854.jpg Polish_20230606_012709029.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Thanks for the post! Learned something new today. :happy:
    I suppose the note will be worth just a bit more now that the bridge is going through a change. ;)

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Interesting spot where two major rivers and three states meet in the same place.
    Thanks for the post. The John B. Rogers nickel is a cool piece to have.

Joshua Lemons likes this.
  5. ddddd

ddddd Member

Very cool!

Draft saved Draft deleted