A bit of a lucky win - Hong Kong dollar

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by gxseries, Jan 1, 2022.

1. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

When I first saw it on offer, I had to rub my eyes as this is something that do not appear often and if they do, often ask for the price of literally an arm or leg. It is probably one of the most expensive purchase I did and had to sell some coins later to make up for it. Didn't pay much as what the average price of what it would go for today so it is a bit of a lucky win.

This particular coin was struck for only three years 1866 - 1868. Total mintage was only a mere 2.109 million with a lot melted down or destroyed along the years. Even in damaged condition, they command some serious price.

I couldn't quite get the color right but it's a solid XF condition, problem free

[​IMG]

I have completed the Hong Kong Dansco type set a while back and the one I have is a corroded one.

The rarest type of the Hong Kong coins is the half dollar, struck in 1866 and 1867 with a mintage of mere 59,000.

[​IMG]

A somewhat underrated type is the 1902 - 1905 20 cents which for whatever reason is hard to come past.

[​IMG]

The rest can be challenging but doable.

Today Hong Kong coin prices are going through the roof. Perhaps there are a lot of patriotic Chinese who are determined to hoard them and hide them away to erase any Western / foreign elements. Worse still destroy them (if you follow the news of what's happening in Hong Kong). Or they are just buying them as investment.

Please feel free to post any Hong Kong coins.

Happy New Year!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Cool design on that dollar. Thanks for sharing it with us.

gxseries likes this.
  4. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

5. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

And these are the three holes in my own Hong Kong type set that seem destined to remain vacant forever :(

6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Beautifull design!

spirityoda and gxseries like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted