A beauty and a time travel letter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by goossen, Jul 17, 2020.

1. goossen

goossen Senior Member

Got this one in the post yesterday
    IMG_9685.jpg

Looks better in person, my lighting sucks but I didn't want to wait until tomorrow's daylight to post this :)

As soon as I saw the letter in the mailbox I told my wife "this looks like coming from the 1960's". Boy I wasn't so wrong!
    So she told me, let's do a little research. And this was the outcome. We put the years next to the stamps. Mind blowing!
    IMG_9684.png
    Thanks a lot @lordmarcovan ! You made us both very happy!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Wow, your photos of the coin look WAY better than the darkish ones I had!

The Indian Head Cent "midget stamps" from 1978 (Scott #1734) were the smallest stamps ever issued by the United States Postal Service, I believe.

I always find international mail more fun when it has foreign stamps on it, so I thought you might enjoy those. :)

4. lordmarcovan

BTW, everyone, that was @goossen's "pick your prize" choice from Giveaway #40.

As of this typing, Giveaway #41 is open for entries, and is also a "pick your own prize" giveaway.

@Santinidollar has a contest running, too.

5. lordmarcovan

@goossen- your latest envelope has just shipped. Since you had fun with the stamps last time, I figure this one should keep you busy. ;)

Doing the arithmetic on all these certainly kept me busy! The postage cost was $3.49, but I put $3.505 worth of stamps on there, if I did the math correctly.

Yes, that's right- there's a half-cent stamp on there! (Orange, with Ben Franklin, at bottom right.) I found it in my stash. I think it is from the 1940s. There is also a red airmail near top right which is from 1948, I believe.

Enjoy! I figured I'd give you a sneak preview to allow you some time to have fun with the stamps while you wait on the coins! :)

ECC7CCB3-8056-4D2F-A697-C495B12942BD.jpeg

6. lordmarcovan

PS- nope, it turns out that orange half-cent Franklin is from 1938. The red 5c airmail is a New York Jubilee stamp and is indeed from 1948, as I had guessed.

Randy Abercrombie and ddddd like this.
  7. goossen

goossen Senior Member

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'm not into foreign coins but that is a great one to have.

goossen and lordmarcovan like this.
  9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I remember as a kid when those 13c IHC stamps came out. Of course I was griped at for wanting them, because the toads had to be the ones to use them. The stamps were a bit of a PITA because of their size.

Recently when I ran out of stamps and didn't feel like going to the PO I got a bunch of 1990's era stamps and started using them.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Lordmarcovan you are one class act. I'd tip my coin hat if I had one.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted