A BEAUTIFUL COIN - XX AS OF CARACALLA

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Blake Davis, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

DSCN7822 (2).JPG DSCN7825 (2).JPG

Caracalla As
    11.85 grams, 26mm
    Obverse inscription: ANTONINUS PIUS AVG GERM
    Reverse Inscription: PMTRP XX COS IIII PP
    Purchased on ebay circa 2011

There is a reference in one of the books I have on ancient coins - perhaps the Sayles book on imperial coins? - to a celator known as the "Caracalla master" who would have been working in the mint near the end of the reign, and , and likely ceased making dies once Caracalla was assassinated in or about March of 217AD. I have never been certain just which late coins of Caracalla were the work of this famous artist, but if he was making dies for imperial As's, this coin might be from one of his.

The other unusual feature of the coin is the reverse, which, according to RIC shows Pluto reaching out his hand to the two headed dog Cerberus. This type, and its counterpart sestertius, and perhaps waiting to be found, dupondius, is the only of this type of which I am aware in the imperial series. It is, indeed, odd - RIC's only comment is, "Minos with his Minotaur appears as a variant with Pluto with Cerberus." Perhaps something to do with a quest?

I am not an art critic but this coin appears to be perfectly proportioned, and is beautifully done, especially given the space available.

I have only been able to find one (a bit undersized) example of this type as a sestertius, from IMP XVIII, sold by CNG in 2005, and clearly by the same celator. And although I generally do not collect minor bronzes, I have made a few exceptions, this obviously being one of them.

If you are aware of this type from the last year of Caracalla's reign I would be interested in hearing about it.

eparch, Bing, Spaniard and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

It certainly has deep engraving and a good strong strike, as well as good style and proportions. Very nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted