A batch of Chinese Uighurstan coins (1933)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by gxseries, Jan 30, 2022.

1. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Uighurs or Uyghurs have been under the news for all sorts of "human right abuse" under the current Chinese regime. I shall avoid the political aspects of it but you can look it up and make your own conclusion.

Uighurs have tried to break apart from Xinjiang Province and it was a a short lasted regime for a mere 9 months in 1933. A couple of coins were struck and there are quite a few varieties known.

Numista shows a few:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/first_east_turkestan_republic-1.html

I bought my first example and and I believe it is the most corroded 10 cash. I tried to find the 20 cash and that proved to be difficult and ended up getting another 10 cash. I did end up lucky with a 20 cash but had to do some preservation that didn't go too well. I believe back then, the first example that I purchased was around 30 dollar mark and the 20 cash was a bit dearer at 200 or so.

The rest came out from a hoard and that happened when I was out of work. I'll be honest - I thought I'll buy them and flip them as I thought they were undervalued. Sadly I only had enough to buy a bit over half of what was offered but I did end up with some nice examples. That would sound pretty unbelievable today - ebay doesn't even have that many examples on offer for starters!

In hand, I noticed that all 20 cash are overstruck and are not well researched. One of the 20 cash look like a crude fake but it seems to be a legitimate variety. The 10 cash on the other hand all seem to be struck on fresh planchets. I ended up keeping them all as I realized some of these coins are in much better condition that I've seen in the market. One of them is double struck which is pretty unusual and the other has a clean die crack however poorly conserved. Before you criticize about the green verdigris, they have already gone through a few rounds of Verdicare so it's the best they can be. They were much worse, believe it or not

Here are some examples of before and after:

http://gxseries.com/numis/preservation/china/uighurstan/preservation_uighurstan.htm

Prices today are just so absurd - who knows if the CCP is just hunting them down to just melt them from existing. Who knows, if it keeps going up at a rocket pace, I can sell and head for retirement! (dreaming). Better close up photos soon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feel free to post your example!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Those are nice for the type. I have a few. These are the better ones. You can clearly see the host coin on the 20 cash.

Uighuristan Y D38 2 obverse-side.jpg

Islamic Republic of Eastern Turkestan 1933 PGCS 31495549-cutout.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    Seated J and gxseries like this.
  4. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

The details of the host coin are much easier to see in this image.

Overstrike Islamic Republic.jpg

Seated J and gxseries like this.
  5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Nice examples Muzyck!

I didn't notice up till now. It seems that in the 10 cash there are three different varieties on the right flag - none, half and full fringes. However nothing has been mentioned about the left flag! It seems that in the no and half fringes, there seem to be some grass in the left flag. I wonder if it's meant to signify uprising or some kind of independence. This is not seen in Sinkiang or other provinces with similar flags. I have one poor grade with the grass and four with full fringes.

Interesting!

6. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Here are three more in more typical condition for the type. Top two are half fringe and the bottom is full fringe although it is hard to see.

UIGHURISTAN REPUBLIC YD38 2 AH1352-side.jpg
    Sinkiang China Uighuristan 10 cash 1933 obv A less 10-side.jpg
    China Sinkiang Uighuristan Republic 10 Cash 1933 AH 1352 KM  Y D38.3obv A-side.jpg

The publication Xinjiang Numismatics has a brief page with the "Currencies issued by the Bogus "Islamic Republic Of Eastern Turkestan" in Kashgar. The detailed history description is what you might expect from the perspective of those that are holding the Uighurs in concentration camps today.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    gxseries likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted