A 2003-D Penny also with flat hair

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by onDvine, Feb 16, 2005.

1. onDvine

onDvine Member

This is better-centered, but has a corresponding mark on the reverse, just like the '99-D does.

I'm slowly going through some coins, using a magnifying glass to see more than just their dates.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I didnt read all the posts about the 99D but it is not damage inflicted by man as GDJMSP said. I found this coin in a roll from the bank a year ago and I brought it to someone at the coin shop who is very knowledgeable about pennies and he had a term for the error and everything. I think he said it has to do with the planchet being too thin in that area or I think he said something about the pressure from the die...I shoulda written what he said on the holder. The good news is that he said it is in the $4 range.

Attached Files:

4. onDvine

onDvine Member

:) That sounds nice, thank you.

It's not so much that I'd rather have the money than the coins (if I had a buyer), but it IS a significant mark-up on the cents' values, percentage-wise! :p (Would the gentleman have purchased yours, if you'd wanted to sell it for $4, or was it not even discussed?)

Will try to search with those terms and see what I find. Your coin does look exactly like both of those I've found, as far as I can tell from the photos. :D

5. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Well perhaps but it's the only error coin I noticed in the many many bank rolls I went through a year ago so I didn't really offer or want to sell it but I think he said "these go for around the $4 range" so he seemed to be fairly familiar with them...

6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

NOS
    Your dealer might have used the word error but does be KNOW what it means????
    The coin in both photos have been damage...it looks like its been mashed....the man might seemed to be familiar with them but how familiar.

Speedy

7. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Yes he had a term for it and everything. It does not look smashed but rather that that area of the planchet was too low so the design wasnt placed on the coin. This is further confirmed as the rim is fully intact. He also pointed out just how thin the copper plating is. Besides you've seen 3 of these coins now on here so don't you think it is strange that we would have 3 coins that look just the same and were "damaged" in the same exact areas?? These coins were struck like this I tell you what.

8. Speedy

I'm not saying he didn't have a "term" for it...I want to know if he KNEW what the term ment.....

The rim may be intact as I had a filled die with a full rim...the rim is not in the design.

I've only seen 2...no I don't think its strange at all...it may look the same because--1: the same guy did it--2: anouther guy had the same thought...
    If your sure that the coin was struck like that why not send it to ANACS and see what they say?
    If you have a large Coin Show in your state and can go take the coin with you and have a guy from one of the top 4 look at it......

Speedy

9. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Oh Lordy Lordy. I don't know why you are being so skeptical about these coins. FYI the topic that was posted some time ago about the 99D cent is in fact different than my cent. Then there is this 2003D cent here. This guy has been into coins longer than I have been alive so I do solemnly trust him. I mentioned the rim SIR because you said it looks like it has been smashed. It has not been. If you could see it like we both can you can see that it is as if the "flat" area was too low to fill the die and the same goes for the reverse to a degree. He immediately recognized the error to boot.

10. Speedy

I'm not being skeptical about anything...I saw the last thread and most of the guys on this fourm agreed with what I have said.
    There are ways to smash a coin with out getting near the rim at all.
    I can't see how the cent planchet would not fill the die as it is a soft medal..now if it was a nickel I could see how it MIGHT happen.
    How can both sides be low?

This is what a member said on the other thread....
    Damage such as you see here is often the result of someone trying to create another error. They take one ordinary coin and place it on top of another. Then they place a piece of leather over them and strike the leather with a hammer. The leather softens the blow enough so that the coins are not destroyed but yet the force is still such that the top coin imparts its own image onto the coin under it. This can result in a coin that appears to be a flip over strike or strongly clashed dies - errors the some will pay a premium for.

But the coin on top - since it suffers the most pressure ends up with flattened details - damage much like you see on your coin.

I tell you what...I'll try this and see what happens and let you know...
    I would be interested in what a grading Co. had to say if you ever get the chance-

Speedy

11. Speedy

...I need to find the leather before I can try it...
    I'm also guessing it will leave part of the damage of one coin on the other...

Speedy

12. onDvine

onDvine Member

I've posted two different pennies' pictures (and am not a guy) and NOS has posted one. That's three. I'm in California and don't know where NOS is. Whatever they are or aren't, they sure do all look the same ways in the same places!

13. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

That's because Devine they are mint ERRORS. Don't let these goofs fool you! I was told it is because of the pressure of the die and how the planchet was made! To disprove Speedy I am gonna use a small hammer and forget the leather and I will show him what a man made error looks like!

14. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Hi Guys+ Gal

Interesting discussion,, But a little bit tense for no information, Now I dont think that all the evidence has been submitted to either prove or disprove that this planchet is in fact thin and that is the cause of this characteristic that is being seen in the hair detail and the reverse detail directly across from one another,,

Please provide weights of the coins to within 1/100 th of a gram ? since these coins are relatively new the weight should be 3.11 grams, a thin planchet will cause this weight to be diminished as also will a thin copper layer.

also a picture of the edge of the coin would be helpful .

also please provide the coin thickness at the point you believe the planchet to be thin and also in another unaffected area,,

By the way should it be proved that the planchet is indeed thin ,this by weight and size ,it would not be an error coin but a planchet error.since it was in fact an error before it became a coin.

Thank You
    Rick

15. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Well I don't have a mini scale so I can't weigh it. It is as if someone scalped Lincoln's head but if it was done by a human the zinc would have shown as the copper plating is so thin! His upper hair area is very smooth and is very low to the coin compared to the rest of the body! This certainly proves these are error coins(or planchets) and to help show my point I have made a "man made error coin" for Speedy to show what a man made error coin like this would really look like. As you can see they are very different!

Attached Files:

16. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Nos

i appreciate the effort to prove your point as to man made errors, and I did look at the pics of the coin in question.

Take the coin back to the person that you talked with about it, see if it can be weighed and measured by him.

This information is needed before an absolute or for that matter a speculative reason for the attributes can be made.

Thank You !
    Rick

PS I havent been a goof since I was 11 ;-))

17. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I think if you guys could see Dvine's coins and mine in person at a good angle than you could see how much of an non-man made error coin it is! Unfortunately I will not be seeing him until next months coin meet and I do not have me a mini scale. Look, if someone had scraped down his head so close to the fields of the coin the copper woulda been scraped away exposing the zinc! How do you critics explain this???

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

How about everybody take a breath and relax :rolleyes:

It's perfectly OK to have differing opinions - it is even expected. For one thing, we are looking at pictures of coins here - not coins in hand.

I was the author of the comments in the other thread quoted by Speedy. And the description I listed is well known method for faking an error coin. That does not mean it is the ONLY way such an error can be produced. Yes - they can also be produced by the mint during the striking process. And I'm quite sure there are other ways the same effect can be achieved.

Member mikediamond is a well known and respected researcher in the error field. It is his opinion that coins like these are the result of dies being partially filled with grease or other viscuous fluid. Since he knows a great deal more about error coins than I do - he's probably correct.

But without examining the coin in person - there is no way to tell for certain. Until that is accomplished by a knowledgeable person - all any of us can offer is opinions. And there is no way to say one is right and the other is wrong.

19. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

You make a good point but I think the fact that his upper head is so thin to the fields and not raised high like the rest of his body and because the super thin copper plating is still on it seals it...I wouldn't be so set in with this but that is the main reason I can not take it in as being a possible forgery + I showed it to a penny expert who has been collecting coins for about 3x longer than I have been alive.

20. jody526

jody526 New Member

Yep. Looks like somebody monkeyed with it.

21. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Oh my gosh. I just think you guys can't see it at our angle. Dvine and I have in-hand views. If you guys think it has been monkeyed with by man than explain to me this! What is your explanation for the top head on the coins being so low and thin to the fields while maintaining the copper over it? The copper plating is so thin that you can scratch a penny with a dull pin and see the zinc shine through.

Draft saved Draft deleted