A 1991 unmarked Yellowish penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Chelle, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Chelle

Chelle New Member

I came across this penny last night at work and I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything more about it. I took a picture of it beside a regular penny for comparison. The penny itself feels lighter than a regular penny.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

5. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

The solution in which they used to plate the pennies at the mint got old and impure and made the copper plating start to turn to brass.

6. Chelle

Chelle New Member

Yeah I've read up on the three options that it could be an error penny, gold plated, or the high school chem experiment. I was looking for more info from anyone who has encountered something like this. WOuld it be worth it bringing it to a dealer to look it over?

7. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

,Nope - most coins like this are turned into rings or belt buckles - just a jewelry thing!!

Chelle likes this.
  8. Chelle

Chelle New Member

anyone else?

9. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

First of all, most dealers don't have much of a clue when it comes to errors. You could send it to Ken Potter who is the only person I know of who's given any consideration to the so called "brass plated cents", but even those aren't "yellowish." But basically, no. It's not worth sending in.

Chelle likes this.
  10. Chelle

Chelle New Member

Thank you all for your replies :)

Draft saved Draft deleted