A 1948 Lincoln with imprinting on reverse

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Tall Tom, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Tall Tom

Tall Tom New Member

I have a strange error coin...if it is an error coin. (I am inclined to believe that it is an error coin but do not let my bias affect your opinion. That is the reason why I am posting...)

Note that there is no flattening of the rim where the imprinting is. Thus it was obviously in a collar when the imprinting was struck.

What can you tell me about this coin? (I do not need to waste money sending it in to PCGS if it is not an error coin.)

It seems to be a die error, yet, there is no die error that I can discern on the obverse side.

Does the US Mint ever replace the obverse die without also replacing the reverse die?

Can this be the result of a mule die pair with the obverse die of a dime being replaced by the proper cent obverse die...while they did not realize that the reverse die was damaged so they left it?

Curious? This one has got me stymied. Thanks for your help and your suggestions.

I am a nubee here. thumbnail (1).jpg reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

Can you take a picture directly above the cent?

4. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

If you would pay $65 for that error coin I say slab it. If not then don't. Could be a lamination. Could be damage. Not very exciting. Just my 2 cents.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No..

It looks like a Lamination Peel. Nothing is imprinted.. Looks like lettering but it is not. It's an effect left in the metal when the Lamination comes off.
    Nothing major really.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted