9mm (Celtic?) silver minim, help required

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by thejewk, Aug 20, 2020.

1. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

I normally approach coin buying with the philosophy of research first, know the coin, then buy it, but I spotted this tiny dot of a coin in its dying moments on eBay and spent £1.25 plus postage for the privilege of being utterly confused by it.

Celtic_Minim-removebg-preview.png
    9mm, 0.37g

At the time, and considering the fact that it was sold within the UK, I just assumed that it would be something like a Durotriges minim and a quick search would find a match. I've now devoted hours of time to searching through collections of Celtic coins and I have not managed to find anything even remotely resembling it. The cup shape has also ensured that one face of the coin is practically obliterated, which doesn't help matters.

Is it a bad attempt at a counterfeit coin from the Celts? Something else entirely, and I'm on the wrong continent?

Any comments would be most welcome, and feel free to share any of your own mystery coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

My first association would not be Celtic, but rather some Indian damma. Scrolling down what's currently offered on vcoins will give you an impression why. I might well be wrong, though.

There are some more knowledgeable forum members specializing on "Eastern" coins who might be able to confirm or dismiss this suspicion. @THCoins ? @EWC3 ? @Finn235 ? @Pellinore ? Maybe one of you has an idea?

Pellinore and thejewk like this.
  4. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Orielensis, EWC3 and thejewk like this.
  5. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    thejewk likes this.
  6. thejewk

Thanks all, interesting stuff as always. I'll have a dig through the links.

Is this how sub collections start? :bookworm:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Pellinore and John Conduitt like this.
  7. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

I can't say I recognize the coin. Are both sides rotated rightly for the damma type?
    Of the intriguing Yashaditya series, I have this one.

5724 Yashaaditya.jpg

And here's a page with more information.

Alegandron and thejewk like this.
  8. EWC3

EWC3 (mood: stubborn)

Yes. Took a hasty look and think it is probably Sri Raiviha - Swat c. 700 AD

(Fishman and Todd Y14.2)

correctly listed RRR by them - so not a bad buy for the price........:)

Rob

Orielensis and thejewk like this.
  9. thejewk

@EWC3 Thanks for that, I'll do some reading about the type today.

Edit: Seems like that type is rare enough that I am finding nothing online at all. Do you by any chance have a picture of an example, or a link to one? Many thanks.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  10. EWC3

EWC3 (mood: stubborn)

There is a drawing of it in this old paper here

https://www.academia.edu/20430084/Dammas_Daniqs_and_Abd_al_Malik

see type E

Am told this paper in part inspired Fishman and Todd to follow up at length with their excellent book "The Silver Damma" - which gives a fuller account of the coin and the series. Great when things like that happen....

Rob

Finn235, Orielensis and thejewk like this.
  11. thejewk

Draft saved Draft deleted