.99999 versus .9999 fineness

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by elaine 1970, May 30, 2007.

1. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

canadian maple leaf now contained .99999 fineness of one ounce gold against .9999 fineness of american buffalo one ounce gold coin. which is you like?. does it matter you?.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dopeuser

dopeuser Senior Member

I'd rather go with the 5 9's, not just because of the purity, but they now have a $200 CDN face value, which is about $186 US, on a 1-ounce gold bullion coin.

4. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

Neither really makes any difference as far as purity goes. They're both basically 100% gold with a few very minor impurities. I don't think that should have anything to do with your decision about which one to buy.

5. elaine 1970

face value

if can$200.00 dollars (us$186.00) is on face value. i go for canadian maple leaf. the u.s. always late on everything. because final decision based on congress. chinese panda is 500.00 yuan or about us$65.00.

what about .99999 fineness, 100 kilo maple leaf at can$1,000,000 face value?. well, i would take 33,000 pc of 1/10 oz instead.

6. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Just to let you know, the face value on Canadian bullion coins is meaningless. They are not legal tender in Canada. I checked this out with ScotiaBank a couple of years ago. They went on to say that the only reason they carry a face value at all is than many are exported from Canada, and the face value enables them to avoid some tariffs and taxes imposed by some countries.

7. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

Why is that? Do you just like the higher face value better? It really has no meaning as far as what the coin's worth.

By the way, elaine 1970... are you the reincarnation of anchor1112 or annie21?

8. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Just to put things in perspective, debasing the purity of the 1 kilogram CAD$1-million coin from .99999 to .9999 would remove 90mg of gold! [​IMG]

Big deal.

9. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Member

but the coin would still contain one troy ounce of gold (or kilogram, if you're into hauling around brick-sized coins). the only difference the fineness would make is the weight of the alloyed material also found in the coin. one ounce of gold at .9999 is equivalent to one ounce of gold at .99999. the 4 nines coin just has more alloy. might make a difference if you're talking about a heavily alloyed coin -- say .5 fineness -- since debased gold might go for a discount, since bullion traders might want relatively pure metals in their holdings. but it's not as though you'd be *missing* 90 mgs of gold in the instance of the 1 kg coin.

V.

10. elaine 1970

fineness

it is still .99999 fineness is better than .9999 and .999. i am looking forward to see some mint issuing .999999 fineness. as if wwe are looking for ms68 then ms69 and then ms70, in the future, ms 70 + and ms 70 -.

11. Cloudsweeper99

For me, one of the interesting aspects of collecting gold coins with different purity levels is the differences in color between the coins. Other than that, the fineness is not important in any way.

12. thebeav

thebeav Lifer

You wouldn't want to have to try and cash one of these things. The Canadian government is notorious in weasiling out of face values.

Paul

13. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

1oz gold is 1oz gold regardless of its fineness

14. elaine 1970

canadian new maple leaf

i wonder if the new canadian maple leaf have a larger diameter than before.

15. elaine 1970

new maple leaf

i found out that the diameter stay the same. face value at $200.00. it is an experimental one. if successful, each year will issue a different reverse. its fineness is .99999 pure gold.

16. elaine 1970

first spouse gold

first spouse gold coins sold out immediately. maybe due to .9999 fineness and 24K gold. i don't know. if i buy gold. maybe i buy the canadian maple leaf with .99999 fineness. what is your plan?.

17. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

If there was a 1/20 Oz. gold Maple Leaf bullion medal-coin,I would be very interested.

Aidan.

18. elaine 1970

maple leaf

canadian maple leaf have 1/20 oz gold. also the chinese panda too.

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I seriously doubt that the sellout of the First Spouse coins had anything to do with the fineness of the gold they were made from.

20. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

I'd rather have .9000 fineness classic US gold, but that's just me. :cool:

21. Cloudsweeper99

I agree with you. The color is much richer looking that pure gold and it's a little safer to handle. But it looks like chasing after 9s has become the new numismatic standard in gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted