99 SBA Double die?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by KingsAndEights, May 12, 2004.

1. KingsAndEights

KingsAndEights New Member

I came across this one last weekend. It's very faint to see and only in a few spots. The LU in PLURIBUS and in parts of UNITED STATES OF and a few STARS on the reverse. I attached a few photos of different angles and views. Double Die?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Looks like a coin that would be worth some investigation. If you get to a larger show, take it by the anacs table.

4. cdcda

cdcda New Member

Can you post some more pictures? The SBA dollars are known to be found with die deterioration doubling and, as far as I am aware, there were no known "true" (reads valuable) doubled dies.

With better pictures possibly some of us can take a stab at identifying the type of doubling.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Hate to say this - but since the Mint began the single sqeeze method for producing dies before '99 - a doubled die is not supposed to be possible. However - there are the 2001 & 2003 cents that have recently been the subject of much controversey. Many experts - including CONECA have labeled them as doubled dies.

I will admit - when I looked at the first pic - I said huh ? This is because the edges of the "doubling" appear to be rounded as they are with a true doubled die. But when I looked at the rest of the pics - they appear to flat & shelf like as they are with mechanical doubling.

Bottom line - without the coin in hand it is hard to say for sure. But by all means stop the ANACS table and ask them. But don't be surprised if mechanical doubling is the answer.

6. National dealer

I had thought the same thing. Two of the pics look an awful lot like true doubling. Too much to dismiss from the photos available.

7. cdcda

cdcda New Member

I concur. I would have been more dismissive without the photos, but they "ask" for further evaluation - either at a show table as has been proposed, or at least with some additional/better photos.

Questions to KingsandEights, does the doubling exhibit the same spread in the center of the coin?

8. National dealer

After reading this post, I have had my staff go through the 99 SBA's, but none we have show any form of doubling.

Strange things have happened before. Maybe with the lack of interest in these dollars, it was overlooked.

9. KingsAndEights

I did not see this into the center of the coin. As I mentioned, certain areas around the edge and a couple stars. The furthest it goes into the coin that I can tell is PLURIBUS. I first noticed something with a 10X loupe and the pictures where taken at 60X. They are not very noticeable to the naked eye. I'm not sure if I can get better pictures, but I will try again tonight. I actually have some more, but they were too big to post.

Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between machine doubling and true doubling? Thanks for all the posts!!

10. National dealer

11. KingsAndEights

12. KingsAndEights

New Pics

It appears to be in many more spots than originally thought. These are the best I can do (sorry)...

Attached Files:

13. laz

laz New Member

Definately machine doubling.A doubled die will show notches at corner points like lettering and such. These blend in without any notching effect.That indicates that the coin has machine doubling. Most experienced numismatists consider this damage as opposed to a variety or error. ~ Jim

14. cdcda

cdcda New Member

This does appear to be machine doubliing which occurs after the coin is struck when die "bounces" on the coin and a portion of the design is actually flattened into the fields of the coin.

A "true" doubled die coin by comparison, would be struck once with a die that exhbited the doubliing. Normally true doubling will show notching and separation, and will be raised and rounded as opposed to flat.

15. KingsAndEights

CoinWorld June 21 Issue Article

Did anyone see the article in the new Issue of Coin World about the 1999 SBA doubled dies? A subcaption from the 2004D Dime Doubled die on the front page sends you to the article on page 104. I found it interesting based on the posts in this thread...

16. National dealer

Which issue of CoinWorld?

17. KingsAndEights

CoinWorld June 21 Issue (Mailed June 8th)

18. mike57

mike57 New Member

the coin is a 1999 sba proof dollar that has class II and VI doubling. i am the one who discovered this piece. i would like to know if any one else has found one.

19. mike57

mike57 New Member

1999 sba doubled die

if you want to contact me about the sba doubled die my e-mail is mapettit57@yahoo.com

20. KingsAndEights

I Have not heard of any others and according to the article neither has CONECA. The coin posted in this thread showed doubling on the reverse and was BU. The coin in the article was doubled on the obverse and was Proof. According to the posts I read, based on the pictures I provided, the doubling on this coin appears to be machine doubling.

I did find it interesting to learn in the article that ALL 1999 SBAs (circ and Proof (which were made in Philly)) were double-hubbed with older equipment to save $. My guess would be that almost certainly others exist. I have since added more 1999 SBAs and have a decent size collection of them (around 380), however, no others I have exibit any sort of doubling.

May the search continue...

Draft saved Draft deleted