97P Kennedy with die crack obverse...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MommaHenn, Jun 4, 2019.

1. MommaHenn

MommaHenn Active Member

Already had this one in a 2x2, but something caught my eye when showing my grandson the other day. Pulled it out of the 2x2 and immediately thought that there was a scratch on the obverse along the bottom of the cameo. However, I now believe it to be a die crack. The coin is obviously circulated, so there is PMD. Thoughts?? Thanks!

C0870FCC-025D-48D6-927C-8A20E6B4946C.jpeg 30A62970-02F9-4487-BFC1-7DE7234F81CD.jpeg C6175FD5-0972-44EA-BCEA-BD70E953BA0A.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

Looks like a small die crack. improper use of the word cameo. cameo is used with proof coins the fields will be reflective, in a cameo coin, the devices are frosted thus cameo. so possibly a small die crack from the bust, or device to the edge. I don't see any added value in this coin as its well circulated.

MommaHenn likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@MommaHenn

Die cracks are very common in almost every denomination, and as such, do not add anything to the value of the coin.

Chris

MommaHenn likes this.
  5. MommaHenn

MommaHenn Active Member

Thank you Auto...I knew it wasn’t the correct use of the word cameo, but couldn’t think of anything else that late at night. lol As always, thank you for setting me straight!

Autoturf likes this.
  6. MommaHenn

MommaHenn Active Member

The main I reason I posted this coin was due to what I found on the internet...

Although mine isn’t nearly as pretty, it just happened to be the same die crack as in the attached pic.

Attached Files:

7. MommaHenn

MommaHenn Active Member

Thank you, Chris. As a newbie, I’m trying to see if I can spot any true errors and if I do spot one, can I correctly identify it? The coins I’ve been going through have all been circulated, some pretty well. I’ve only found a few things out of approximately $1,000 coins...only one coin was given an estimate of $10-$15. The rest were pretty much die cracks as well. I do hope you and the others on CT realize how much I appreciate your opinion(s), time and teaching moments!

8. cpm9ball

I noted that the coin in a PCGS slab sold for $32, and that is before the listing fees were deducted. I'm guessing that it cost the submitter about $60 to get it slabbed by PCGS, and PCGS doesn't care what they slab as long as they get their money and it isn't counterfeit.

Chris

MommaHenn likes this.
  9. MommaHenn

MommaHenn Active Member

So true! Not sure if I’ll ever send it in...will probably notate something for the grandkids for later on.

10. NathanD

NathanD Cherrypicker

Probably not worth sending in but still a cool find. The grade is one of the reasons the coin above sold for what it did. Your coin is probably in the AU range, making the value not near as much. Keep searching though!

11. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Cool die-crack! I'm honestly kind of surprised PCGS noted such a minor error. But hey! Whatever works ;) Coins that have die cracks running from the head to the rim are sometimes called "spiked heads." They are often listed at this site: http://cuds-on-coins.com/. There are no listings for Kennedy half dollars. If you would like, you can follow the attribution guides and to have your coin listed / featured on the site and other collectors can then use it to help identify their finds.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I haven't looked to see what their surcharge for Mint errors is now, but it used to be an extra $50 which would have made the cost closer to $95. $32 would mean a big loss if the seller is also the submitter.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  13. cpm9ball

Wow! I thought I was overestimating what the total charges would be. Now, I know that I will probably never submit error coins to PCGS. Thanks, Conder!

Chris

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice find, it appears to be a faint die crack. Maybe the Die was just starting to crack. It's neat.

Draft saved Draft deleted