96 penny with double A in America

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by str8upgirl, Sep 5, 2015.

1. str8upgirl

str8upgirl New Member

1p.jpg I have a 1996 penny that has a double A in America. see photo. any value other than face? its also missing the "of" in United States of America.
    thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Need closer pictures of the A. Most likely split plate doubling or something along those lines. The missing "of" is from a grease filled die. Fairly common.

kaosleeroy108 likes this.
  4. teachmind

teachmind Active Member

Can you get a clear and a close up of the cent?

5. str8upgirl

str8upgirl New Member

correction its a 86 penny

Attached Files:

• 2p.JPG
      2p.JPG
      File size:
      237.5 KB
      Views:
  6. str8upgirl

str8upgirl New Member

I noticed this too on same penny

Attached Files:

• 3p.JPG
      3p.JPG
      File size:
      27 KB
      Views:
  7. str8upgirl

str8upgirl New Member

any thoughts anyone??

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Not with those pictures. What are you using for a camera? If you are using a phone, try not zooming, get as close as you can while staying in focus, then crop your pic to show only the coin. Keep your lens parallel to the coin and don't use the flash.

9. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

a.png I think you're seeing a mark/blemish on the coin that is coincidentally the same size and shape as the A.

10. str8upgirl

str8upgirl New Member

okay...but its still missing the word "oF" and the Sat the end of States is only half there

11. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Simple grease filling on a well used die.

It is actually a lot more common than folks would like to believe and a definite mechanism of learning for newbies to the Error World.

Go through a $25 box o Lincoln Cents and I could almost guarantee that you'd find multiple examples of similar "missing letters" due to the filling of the die with machine oil and minting debris (i.e. dust).

12. john41

john41 Toned coins, I like them. If I have it so can you.

There are people who collect grease filled die errors, I at one time put together a set of Lincoln cents for every year. As to the other issues it is hard to say because the images are bad. If you like contact me on a PM and I will gladly help you with your imaging of coins. This is what one of my images looks like.
    [​IMG]

13. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Op's coin looks to have a lot of damage and zinc rot from what I can make out as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted