95 bids

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bkozak33, Dec 10, 2013.

?

Why did this person place 95 bids?

Poll closed Dec 17, 2013.
  1. Bored

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Drunk

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Doesn't understand auction process

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  4. Really excited to get coin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I have a coin on ebay, and was surprised to wake up this morning with 103 bids. After closer inspection one person placed 95 bids alone. I cant figure why one person would take the time to place 95 bids.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Thought he was in a bidding war with someone. Too drunk to realize it was himself.

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Not being able to view the auction, I'd have to say that he put in his max bid and every time someone else put in a bid, the computer put in a bid for him until the bidding hit his max.

5. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I dont think i can list the auction here

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Let's say the coin was going for $20, and the bidder wanted to win, (but wasn't smart enough to snipe). However, maybe the high bidder had bid $400, but the new guy didn't know that. He bids 21, then 22, then 24 then 25.50, etc ad nauseum.

Some people just have weird bidding habits.

7. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

You can view it by clicking on his eBay stores link, Rick.
    It's an interesting bid history, as the same bidder increased his bids by $2 increments from $34 to $100, then $5 increments up to $250, then $10 increments up to $500, then $20 increments up to $640... then he bailed, lol.

8. rickmp

eBay will change bid increments based on value. I still stick by my theory and add that the guy with 95 bids had a max of $640.00 and was eventually outbid.

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The guy's a nut..........bidding every two or three seconds...........is this a radical new bidding style designed to combat snipers? There's two days left in the auction.......

2schnauzers2luv likes this.
  10. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Looks like he was just clicking the 1 click bid button, while a higher bid was already present. Saves him time typing it in and moves things along with the minimum required bid. He did what a lazy man would do, without knowing how high someone else bid. Looks fine to me, especially if he was on a smart phone or small device at the time.

medoraman likes this.
  11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

You're correct Rick, as eBay sets the minimum bid increment based on the current bid. Still, the bidder had to manually hit the 1 click bid button as stated above in order to increase the amount by a single increment.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Lol true. Maybe he didn't know you can bid a higher amount than just one increment on the app? By default it only goes to one increment higher.

torontokuba likes this.
  13. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Sniping app gone awry?

14. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I've seen similar behavior and have always ascribed it to someone who wanted to bid as little as possible without knowing what their max bid actually was.

15. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Don't know if eBay still does this or not but if your item had more than 50 bids it'd show up with a flame next to it and say hot. Might help more views/bids.

torontokuba likes this.
  16. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Could also be the ever popular ploy to make the auction look too popular for new bidders, scaring them off.

17. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

That's nothing, look at the other items he's been bidding...135 bids wow bids.png

18. rickmp

I wasn't thinking of it the other way (the one click thing) that he might have been trying to beat someone else's max bid one increment at a time.

19. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I think he is just a nut.

2schnauzers2luv likes this.
  20. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

I don't. Just has no idea of the automatic bidding system.

21. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

He is nuts in my opinion. I have done some drive by bidding before, but usually just 2 or 3 bids. Interesting sometimes how people bid.

Draft saved Draft deleted