91 very happy Mint customers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dug13, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Just read the article in Coin World, about the Mint’s web page mishap. According to the article, last week they sold over 800 2019 W Proof cent for 1 cent each — face valve. Total of 91 customers placed the orders before the Mint caught the listing error. It’s all about being the right place at the right time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

921 actually

Interestingly, that's not going to be huge number in the grand scheme of things. Unless there is a special label, will be lost in the noise. It will make it easier for the shopping networks to sell.

masterswimmer likes this.
  4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They will only be happy if the Mint honors the orders. They could also say it was an error and just refund all the orders.

A lot of people think that if you screw up and offer something at the wrong price you have to sell it at that price. If it is an honest mistake, you don't. If it was deliberate as a loss leader you do, and if it was done to create a "bait and switch" that is illegal. I doubt the Mint was using them as a loss leader, and it doesn't seem to have been a bait and switch, so it was most likely an honest mistake and they don't have to honor the orders.

Kasia likes this.
  5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some were shipped before they caught the mistake. Can they recall the shipments?

6. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Not sure how to post the link, but here is part of the article:

“A total of 91 lucky United States Mint customers on March 3 and 4 were able to successfully order 921 individual Proof 2019-W Lincoln cents at face value, which were then shipped to them before officials realized that an internal system used for tracking Mint products was made public and became a live catalog order page.”

“They said that orders were processed and coins shipped until officials realized that something was amiss and closed the ordering link.”

Kasia likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No they probably can't recall shipments if they have left the fulfillment center. If they are still in the fulfillment centers hands then they can. (I have not seen the article so I didn't know they had been shipped. But sometime shipped doesn't really mean shipped. They may be packaged and ready to go but not actually out the door yet.)

8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The article said 91 were shipped, but another 290ish were caught and cancelled.

9. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

If the shipment arrives, I wouldn't open it and send it directly to NGC. It has to be worth something with certification.

10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Oh boy, do I have stories from my Walmart days... :dead::vomit:

11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

So I have a suggestion for the label...

I got this coin for $0.01 as opposed to the millions of other people who had to shell out $27.95

LakeEffect likes this.
  12. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I do, my ad blocker consider Coin World's website to just be one big ad and blocks the whole thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted