90% proof silver Kennedy half question.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GUNNER63736, Jan 3, 2021.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

I just happen to love the shiney silver proof Kennedy halves. Is it worth the extra money to buy the 90% silver proof Kennedys certified or just stick with the raw coins? I happen to be an old poot on a beer budget. Your opinions and advice greatly appreciated.

MIGuy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

I recall see advertising in Numismatic news uncirculated 90% JFK rolls, $49.95 each.
    (Now selling on ePay for 4X+/roll)
    "Where have all the 'flowers' gone"...?
    J.T.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The OP asked about proof Kennedys.

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

With me it is eye appeal and I don't care what a second or third party thinks. If they are for you with no intent to flip them, I would pick up raw coins that you really like the looks of. Then, protect them.

MIGuy likes this.
  6. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I think it greatly depends on what YOU are looking for. I like to collect certain things that other people may not. If you're asking in regards to a valuation thing then I would say that buying a certified coin may not always give you the best result. If you're filling a whitman album then buying raw coins are probably your best bet.
    What is your level of collecting? We may have some other advice for you directly related to your question.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Yea, Try AA and take up coffee . JMO cropped-letting-go-open-hands.jpg

8. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

I like silver, so when I add proofs to my own collection I prefer silver. But that’s just my own preference. I agree with others that collecting what you like is priority.

9. GUNNER63736

Yep. I really have no specific goal for my collection. I just seem to lean towards shiny silver that I think I am paying a fair price for. I do a little research to see that what I purchase is a fair price. I keep a close eye on silver melt daily and buy as close to that as possible. I don't mind paying a slight premium for proof69 DCAM coins. May be wrong but it makes me feel like I am buying a precious metal and a collectable coin in one swoop. May not be a very logical way to look at it but that pretty much sums up the way I collect. I don't really have an end goal in mind besides piles of silver. LOL. 2003-s kennedy rev..jpg 2003-s silver ken obv..jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Penny Luster and SensibleSal66 like this.
  10. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I like mostly silver also just bought 18 1964 silver proof dimes and 16 1964 proof nickels for $40/ melt value for the dimes say $2 a coin Would be $36 alone without the nickels.

11. GUNNER63736

Did it again tonight. I had a couple of ebay bucks so this one cost me $11.67 shipped. I am addicted. My wifey of 51 years said it won't be long before I have the Kennedy market sealed up. LOL LOL 92-s Kennedy obv..jpg

12. GUNNER63736

Awesome purchase. Ebay?

13. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

14. GUNNER63736

I buy all my coins on ebay. I can scan and see what prices others are asking for the coin before I purchase it. I'm guessing a lot of the collectors/hoarders here use that method.

15. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

I would stick to raw Kennedy’s and self slab them with Lighthouse Quickslab holders. A box of 5 slabs cost $10.00 — $11.00 on ebay.

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The problem is that proof Kennedys from the early 90's on were produced in, both, silver and clad specimens at the SF Mint. Do you trust every seller on eBay? I sure don't!

coin dog likes this.
  17. GUNNER63736

They have all looked silver on the edge so far. I am no expert but the clad ones have a copper looking edge line on them I don't they. Am I wrong again? I rely a lot on the sellers feedback on ebay. May be wrong to do that also.

18. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Mr. cpm9ball, to answer your question;
    No, I do not trust every seller on ebay. But I do trust sales on ebay. Presently ebay favors the Buyer in transactions. Any issues I every had with purchases, ebay has sided with me. I don't know if everyone has been as fortunate as me, but my track record with "problem buys" has been favorable.
    Even at coin shows, coin shops, pawn shops, BST (here), I do not trust every dealer/seller.

19. GUNNER63736

Good points Dug13. I do understand cpm9ball concerns these days though.

Dug13 likes this.
  20. GUNNER63736

Well, dang if I didn't just add another one. I need help. LOL 95-s kennedy obv..jpg 95-s kennedy rev..jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted