90% Isopropyl Alcohol for Cleaning Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BenL, Dec 18, 2015.

1. BenL

BenL New Member

So I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times...but using the search function I haven't been able to find specific answers I'm looking for. Google search is similarly not returning specific answers. I'm a novice so forgive me for clogging the forums with a simple question like this.

Is it advisable to soak coins in 90% iso alcohol to remove skin oils/fingerprints? How about to just remove "gunk" from circulated coins?

I understand that copper reacts differently than other metals, and specifically in mind I have a bunch of NIFC Kennedy halves, some of which have minor fingerprints/oils showing, and then just random circulated US coinage (all denominations) with oils/"gunk" etc. I also have a stack of BU Austrian Philharmonics, and a friend of mine fingered one up not knowing how to handle coins properly, so it now has fingerprints/oils on it. I happen to have a bottle of 90% iso alcohol in the bathroom, so I'm wondering if this stuff does the trick to remove minor stuff like what I'm describing.

Feedback much appreciated!

Edit: I will check back later for answers, not ignoring anybody :)

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It shouldn't hurt. It won't remove prints unless they're very fresh as in just a minute ago. I've even soaked coins in Everclear. If you do that, just don't drink it after. ;)

swamp yankee and jester3681 like this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

5. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

If it were me, I'd go with acetone because acetone's vapor pressure is a lot higher than isopropyl alcohol's, meaning acetone should evaporate off of the coin a lot faster and be easier to work with.

jester3681 likes this.
  6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Alcohol is a polar solvent which won't harm a coin but acetone is better at the same jobs.

7. BenL

BenL New Member

Thank you for the replies guys, I will check out that other thread and probably go out and buy some acetone. I've been having a good old time roll hunting and just looking everything up, it's really helping me to learn about each modern denomination...and now I have a big pile of cheap and dirty coins to experiment on. :)

8. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I sometimes use rubbing alcohol. One thing you should be aware of is that it will sometimes leave a light white-ish haze on the surface. This is not due to the alcohol itself, but the water content mixed in with it.
    In true Russian fashion, I've used pure ethanol (drinking alcohol) to better effect (not what you're thinking).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I mostly stick with acetone. Verdicare works good on copper used denatured alcohol in the past too tho with no adverse effects. But can leave a film on the coin

10. SuperDave

Verdicare is supposed to leave something on the coin, to protect it into the future. I have seen enough Verdicare-treated coins in slabs to know the TPG's don't object to whatever Thad is using for ingredients. If alcohol leaves a film on the coin, it's either because the alcohol or mixed water was insufficiently pure, or whatever it picked up from the coin didn't rinse off and got redeposited. You should be happy with both substances used in conservation.

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

If you object to the film left by verdicare acetone removes it. When I had a film from alcohol it was usually crud from the coin and a second rinse or a quick acetone rice removed it. I prefer acetone for its fast evaporation rate tho

12. SuperDave

Yeah, acetone's extreme volatility makes it the ideal final rinse. I couldn't imagine putting a coin away without a final acetone rinse. Of course, this being the Internet I should offer the caveat that there are some coins which oughtn't even be touched with acetone....

Mainebill and BadThad like this.
  13. Numismat

I've had aluminum-bronze coins that turned weird color hues after being treated with acetone.

14. Sean5150

Sean5150 Well-Known Member

Where does electrolysis fall (baking soda water solution with aluminum)

15. SuperDave

It characterizes as "advanced technique requiring care that side effects do not themselves affect the coin, while offering a powerful tool for specific corrections."

Something else had to be involved. The fact that acetone cannot have that effect is plain science. Acetone isn't really into oxidation; that's why it works so well for us.

16. Numismat

Yea I'm sure it was something on the surface. I've had this happen specifically with Danish 1 and 2 Kroner coins from the 1920's to 1960's. Perhaps the planchets were treated with something that reacts with the acetone.

17. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I use 90% alcohol to remove tape glue. It is the only thing that works if someone wraps coins in packing tape. Best to ship them back when they do that but sometimes it don't matter when the coins were bought at melt.

18. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I know that concentrated isopropyl alcohol will "melt" plastic so keep that in mind when using it.
    Even rubbing alcohol (76% isopropyl) will harm plastic is used too long.

19. SuperDave

There isn't much that's capable of reacting chemically with acetone; it's used as a cleaning agent for aluminum, for instance. It does make one wonder what the Danish used for planchet prep on them. You've been doing this too long to just mistake a correlation. Have some images? I'd like to think further about this.

That is acetone's main use, along with handling PVC contamination - removing adhesive from coins.

20. halford@thework

halford@thework Junior Member

I understand that household ammonia followed by acetone works well on silver coins - can't speak to copper.

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah maybe. But does it really matter ? The only thing that matter is the end result. You see, you can't ever tell if there is "something else involved" until after the fact. You don't know if there is something on that coin, or if the coin was exposed to something. You only know that when coins of a certain metal or metals are exposed to acetone, that weird things happen on a semi-consistent basis. So if you know that, then you should know that you should not take the risk with those coins.

As for science, well, then there's things like this -
    http://www.stonybrook.edu/vescalab/research/research7.html

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted