90% and 40% silver for sale

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Ron Henry, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

I have several rolls of 90% half dollars and 40% half dollars, as well as several rolls of half dollar proofs, that I'd like to sell. Any ideas on how to price it to the board first, before I go to a commercial source? Wouldn't mind giving board members a good deal if it meant I'd get a little more than wholesale.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If your only real desire is to pocket more than a dealer will give you, simply find out how much whatever the dealer/dealers are offering and go from there.

4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Like Books said, call your sources. I think my LCS usually pays ~90% of melt for 40% and ~95% for 90%.

5. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

Doug, thanks. My LCS isn't very cooperative and always lowballs me. So he wasn't very helpful, but your comments are.

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Call around. Call a city you don't live in and pretend you do. Get an average and go from there. Talk smart and don't sound desperate.

7. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

Books, my real desire is to unload some of the stash I've accumulated and turn it into a new Kamado-style smoker for our new deck :happy:. Just trying to see what the going rates are, and as I told Doug above, my LCS isn't very helpful.

8. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

Seattlite, thanks. Not desperate at all.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Well I'm sure if you use the 90% (40%) and 95% (90%) figures, you will get plenty of takers here.

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Please be sure that you use the "For Sale" sub-forum if you do ,and read the rules in the 2 stickies as there are specific rules.Jim

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Seattlite86

i believe you, but when people are selling, it's because they need something. Say the wrong thing and you get low balled.

12. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

you should have no problem selling your silver for around melt on here.

13. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

Seattlite, I agree, or sometimes they are selling to swap one thing for another thing they want, but don't necessarily need. There are lots of reputable places to sell silver without being stuck with a lowball offer. Just sayin', as we say in the South, "I was born at night, but it wasn't last night". But I always appreciate friendly advice. Thank you.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

Jerry thanks. I may get around to posting something this weekend.

15. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

Jim, thanks. I was just looking for guidance.

16. Seattlite86

I once had a Soldier's mother call me to complain. During our conversation she told me "I live in Kentucky but I'm not from Kentucky". I'm still not sure what she meant... @Kentucky maybe you can tell me what that means? I don't think she likes Kentucky... or me based on the phone call. :p

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Never heard that one, or the one about being born at night. Perhaps there is some stigma attached about being "from" Kentucky, considering where it usually comes out on the economic or education index, but that should not apply to any specific people from (or even still living in) Kentucky. One of the lines I have used quite a bit is "I graduated from high school in the state of Kentucky when there were 48 states and Kentucky was 47th out of the 48 for education...but Arkansas was 48 and Bill Clinton was graduating there".

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

I find a good way to sell 90% rolls is to provide two good photo or scans, of both sides of all coins, spread out in a grid fashion so roll hunters can dig into details and count their bargains on their fingers if they want, also gives all buyers a warm fuzzy in general. Then, just start a NO RESERVE auction at melt, or below melt, for that matter. Or if you want to attract a lot of bidders and hope for some competition, start it at a penny or 99 cents and don't worry. Someone will eventually bid melt on it, but you'll have a bundle of people who low-balled it still getting notifications towards auction end to stir the pot. The longer the auction in days the better you'll do. Balance that with how soon you really need the money. I finance my fishing trips this way. If I plan to go fishing Sunday, I'll end my auction on Friday or Saturday, usually works out quite well. Personally, I start at melt and send an email to all my existing customers as a heads up. I KNOW someone will go melt on it usually right away, as many know me and I know them at least in cyber-coin-space. One other trick is to put a roll end more desirable coin date/mintmark/condition as an incentive, burn a couple bucks, someone generally bites. This way I figure I'm attracting the people with the time to break apart the roll hunting and reselling and filling albums, as well as the stackers and investors.
    Hope that helps, it's been working for me for a while.
    Thanks,
    Bill Purkins
    http://SilverWilliesCoins.com

19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I can get 91% of melt for my 40 and melt for my 90. That's the best price in my region. I did a lot of homework, ie. going to several shops and calling several more. I have a coin club that I can sell at too but usually can get slightly over melt on 90 and no one wants 40. Ron, just do your homework and you can get a good deal. If you have to go to Ebay you should be good to go to.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me she was trying in a very poor manner saying that she is not the typical hillbilly uneducated people that KY has the misfortune of being stereotyped as having cause she was not born here. There is a number of people in east KY that are uneducated but no more than other places I have lived in over the past almost 40 years.

Kentucky and Seattlite86 like this.
  21. Seattlite86

I guess I knew what she meant generally, but I pretended I didn't mainly on principle. I've always been intrigued by the fascination of dividing people between educated and not. I've met a great many people who graduated from a university who I would not consider educated and vice versa.

eric6794 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted