89D Kennedy Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pickin and Grinin, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

So, please take this into consideration that I am not trying to bash here on PCGS.
    That really is not my intent.
    I bought an 89' mint set the other day and was trying to get an idea on the value of both P and D Half's.
    Well anyways I was searching through the Auctions and found this one.

Did this coin get overlooked and just sent through?

Or, do you think that this is acceptable in the grade of MS67?

Other than that the coin looks to have amazing luster.
    I am really just wondering how it got the pass.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/kennedy-ha...-23578.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

I will attach the 89D that I was comparing it to.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Can hardly wait to see your comparison coin.

I am just starting to get serious about learning about grading. According to my list of criteria, if I have been able to correctly distinguish which of those scratches are on the cover protecting the coin and which are on the coin, I would say that this coin that has been graded MS67 (meaning, sharply struck with only a few imperfections) seems to be "average or better strike with several obvious marks or hairlines and other minuscule imperfections" and should have been graded, MS64?

Does that sound right @Pickin and Grinin ?

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Except for the big scratch going from the B over the T and almost to the Y. the grade seems fine. But should limit the grade in this instance.
    All the other areas that look like scratches are on the slab.
    What you see as minor imperfections are left over from the planchet. Those are usually contributed to not enough strike pressure. IE full strike. But most likely a very rough planchet to start with and IMO they are mostly struck out, and wouldn't hold this particular issue from being a MS67. The difference between 65 and 67 is the usually just the quality of the luster. A fine luster will usually hide small imperfections.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    LaCointessa likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

I haven't photo'd the 89D yet but I took some photos of the P.
    I found out that there are 3-DPL's graded and 66-PL coins.
    This one reads text from almost 5 inches away.
    IMG_0003_1.JPG IMG_0004_1.JPG Thought I was getting something unique but actually the MS coins seem to hold more value.
    IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0001.JPG

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    SlipperySocks and LaCointessa like this.
  6. LaCointessa

Oh! @Pickin and Grinin . I couldn't see a long scratch. I could see this scratch which I thought might have been a die crack or die scratch from the R through the T and on its way to the Y. I guess I just can't see the scratch as you describe it from this photograph. I admit my eyes suck even with glasses.

upload_2019-2-7_18-31-43.png

Thanks for your other remarks. I see I need to go find out and understand exactly what "sharp strike" and "full strike" are and look at a bunch of examples and comparisons.

7. Pickin and Grinin

IMO that mark is distracting enough and most definitely not the result of a bag mark. It runs over the T and in my opinion is damage. Not the result of contact with another coin.

LaCointessa likes this.
  8. LaCointessa

Yep! I see what you mean about the difference in luster.

9. Pickin and Grinin

I haven't captured the Photos of the 89D, that best show its appearance.
    These dark modern coins are really a bear to photo.
    Here's a crazy shot of the 89P. IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG

10. LaCointessa

It is beautiful. I admit I have not spent much time gazing at these larger American coins. Can't tell which photographs I prefer. I can see more of the actual condition of the coin, I think, in the more recently posted photographs - especially around the schnoz and lips.

11. Pickin and Grinin

Draft saved Draft deleted