86 D Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by RBurk, Jan 27, 2021.

1. RBurk

RBurk Active Member

Doubt it, but looks like doubling in 9. Any thoughts? WIN_20210127_14_40_29_Pro.jpg WIN_20210127_14_40_58_Pro.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The 9 looks like it's in two pieces. Those are very good, sharp pictures. But look what you're thinking are two impressions of the 9. Are the 9s really that thin? Get another 1986-D, and look at that 9. These 9s are half that size. They're cut in two, right down the middle, from the strike. The "top" 9 should be intact, matching the 9 on any 1986-D, but it's not.

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This is what the date should look like. All the numerals are thin and dainty. Looks to me like the high points took on some wear making it look doubled.

Kevin Mader and Evan Saltis like this.
  5. RBurk

RBurk Active Member

Thanks Eddie. Good thoughts. I wonder though how just the 9 (and maybe the 8 to a lesser extent) can be double struck without more of the coin being impacted? BTW, I used a Opti-TekScope for the pics. I diffused the light to reduce glare.

Sley likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a typical zinc Cent minted by old worn dies.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  7. RBurk

RBurk Active Member

Interesting. Is this common?

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I wish everybody had pictures like that. They made this easy.

My best suggestion is to go on YouTube and bring up a video on the minting of cents. These are hardly done with cookie-cutter precision. When a coin gets loose from its collar for all the banging virtually anything can happen when struck with those dies. That coin moved a little, hopped, slid when those dies grabbed it, and that's what's showing. In die doubling, it's the actual die that's doubled. In strike doubling, what happened on your coin, the coin wasn't sitting still. It was loose, and it didn't accept the strike cleanly for it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

To have wear only on the high points of the date? Yes, It is not a doubled die though.
    There is a form of worthless doubling that the devices appear to have a crease in the middle of them. I believe it is a form of split plate doubling, or from a gassy planchet. @paddyman98

Sley and Kevin Mader like this.
  10. RBurk

RBurk Active Member

Thanks for all of the answers. I'm learning - slowly...

Sley and Evan Saltis like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted