$80k collection found under a bed... Check this out.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ratio411, Nov 27, 2011.

1. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Someone on another board that was lucky enough to win some of these coins posted the info after it was over, and I thought you might like to see...

The seller was the family of a deceased collector, and they didn't even know he had a collection.
    They were clearing out his house, and found the collection under his bed.
    Each coin was in it's own little envelope.

Personally, I think the collection would have sold for much more if they had the coins graded, or went through a better auction venue.
    Some of the bidders got some really great deals.
    Scroll down and check out the Pilgrim... GORGEOUS! It sold for less than 70 bux! Looks like an MS66 coin.

If you like very early US coinage, and seated coinage, be sure to have a look.

Link:
    http://www.ebay.com/csc/ewhitner/m.html?LH_Complete=1&_trkparms=65%3A13|66%3A3|39%3A1&rt=nc&_dmd=1&_ipg=100&_since=15&_sop=13&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=1

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

That is a pretty impressive collection. Not knowing too much about them but judging by the pics I would say it would have been much more if they were graded.

4. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

well if i had known earlier

5. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

6. Raoul duke

Raoul duke Member

Wow those are some awesome old coins, Love those old 1800's gold coins.

7. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I always thought only monsters, single socks and dust bunnies lived under the bed.

8. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Should have consigned it to HA... for a collection of that value, they'll get everything slabbed.

9. Siwash

Siwash Senior Member

I've got an electric guitar under there, too.

10. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Wow. My father in law has paranoid schizophrenia, and has turned into quite the recluse. He lives in an old mansion that was owned by the creator of Vicks vapor rub. He has hoards of coins throughout the house, and my wife tells me he has money stashed in the walls, and stuff everywhere. At the turn of the century they converted the upstairs into a motel, and each room is stashed full of old things. There is an entire dresser full of coins (that I know of). I have no clue as to what all he has, but it is a ton of stuff. It will be very sad when he passes, but I am curious as to what kind of coinage he has. Despite having plenty of money, he is often seen wondering around town digging stuff out of dumpsters.

11. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Between this and the Gold Mine in your family, I hope your in line for a great inheritance. :>)

12. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Very cool collection. Hard to believe with a collection like that his family had no idea that he was into coins.

What a treasure find!

13. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Thanks Sam. I know sounds like a tall one huh? It is naive to brag about such things. It would be an honor and a dream to be a part of the Tropico legacy, but I just don't think it will happen. Too much bureaucracy involved in getting it going again. Besides that you have 22 of his nephews and nieces who are licking their chops waiting for him to pass on. Sad... If anything ever does come of it, my motivations would be to have a job that I love, have a chance to travel, and most importantly to have something to pass on to my son. Other than that I would be content to live in a trailer and get my water out of a mine shaft as does Cliff =].

Draft saved Draft deleted