800 dimes in...

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Kurisu, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

This was from before Christmas (actually on my birthday days before) but since I'm new here I thought I'd share it.

I absolutely enjoy how horribly difficult and frustrating fresh rolls of dimes can be, they are terrible vile nefarious little things and I loooooove it lol!

Somewhere around Loomis roll number 16 of beautiful 2020 D dimes...and being right here in Denver...

Just so you know, I had it lit with multiple lights to bring out as much as possible :)
    It's soooo close to what I'm looking for!
    Even though it's almost untouched I'm not sure this would grade as high as I would like if I sent it in...
    One person I shared it with even noticed something I didn't!
    Can you see the imperfections I do that will likely keep it from getting an MS69 grade?

Birthday box coin search Dec 2020 Dime 1 Obverse.jpg Birthday box coin search Dec 2020 Dime 1 Reverse.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I see the reflection of the reeded edge from the lighting and the die deterioration.
    [​IMG]

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I'm not sure about the collar clash idea. This a Pic that I got from the error-ref.com website . See the difference ?Collar Clash (error-ref.com)
    54846378.jpg

6. potty dollar 1878

I noticed that its just the reflection causing some confusion idk what the op is referring to just a good guess

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@Kurisu Some machine doubling at the chin and neck? Might be lighting also.

8. adelaide888

adelaide888 Active Member

Extra line in the ear?

9. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

Hope you're enjoying this!

SPOILER DON'T LOOK BELOW IF YOU'RE REALLY CHALLENGING YOURSELF HERE :)

Something to keep in mind is that you are seeing this image at far beyond 5x magnification which is standard for grading.

The Obverse-

@cpm9ball Picked up on the slight Die Deterioration. You can see it and clues to it. The radiating fine lines on the background fields indicate some wear on the die as the smooth polish goes away. Look at the last few letters in LIBERTY and you'll see how they are also no longer sharp due to deterioration.

It is slightly off center. Just slightly, but this is something that might get noticed as the grade approaches MS68 or 69! The rim and collar and reeds actually look great. Yes, sometimes it gets tricky in the flip due to some slight reflections.

There are nicks in Roosevelt's ear, and some light dings on the rim below "we". And some lighter dings towards 3 o'clock on the rim. There is also a difficult to see nick in his hair close to 2 o'clock.

The Reverse-

There is some similar die deterioration compared to the obverse.

There are little dings in the center column of the torch just below the flame. There is a larger ding on the rim above the "D" of United.

There is a big nick right in the center of the "N" in the ONE and it's so perfect that it looks like it belongs there and tricked my brain into not seeing it lol!...that's the one I initially missed!

Overall it's a beautiful lustrous coin and and an MS68 wouldn't surprise me, but an MS69 would lol! On to another 1000 dimes...

10. potty dollar 1878

Slightly off center?more like a small MAD i noticed the DDD i though you were thinking there was a true error on the coin and we had to look for it.

11. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

Lol...sorry if I made it sound like there was an actual error I was completely referring to why I think this dime won't grade as high as I would like...MS69.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

After careful consideration, the grading team at PRCGS believes that this dime will not make MS69.

Pig & Rabbit Coin Grading Service
    [​IMG]

Kurisu likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted