8 Reales Spanish Empire and Peninsulars for all

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by moneditis, Jan 19, 2015.

1. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

Like them

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

A good friend of mine has been collecting Cobs for in both gold and silver. Until recently I never seen or knew what a Cob was. I seen some at a Coin show a couple weeks ago and they are interesting. Some have busts on them and some don't. I'm no expert on them just find them cool looking.

Rmo63 and Mikey Zee like this.
  4. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Sadly I do. If they buy it, they're like "well, it's damaged" but if they sell it then "it's a true piece of history" LOL

Mikey Zee likes this.
  6. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    1934 Wreath Crown and Mikey Zee like this.
  7. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

A couple of columnarios

First: 26,94 g
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second: 26,97 g See imperial and Real Crowns
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one change direction "cordoncillo" at 180º. The first one just overlap

Hispanicus and Mikey Zee like this.
  8. Jacnum7

Jacnum7 Active Member

I have a whole set. Sorry no pictures. I have had them a long time and I know they are genuine. Randy Campbell confirmed it but I did not have them graded.

9. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

A couple great looking Hispan coins,congrats envy you!

10. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

Thank You all :happy:

11. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

only 8 Reales I own

1806 Mexico 8 Reales.jpg

Hispanicus and J.A.K. like this.
  12. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Great looking coins. I just started buying some of these silver reales coins after finding out that King Carlos lll of Spain was King Carlo lll of Naples and Sicily prior to taking over the Spanish throne in 1759.
    When Carlo lll left Italy, his son Ferdinando became King of the region of Italy south of Rome, Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.

I bought a nice looking 1776 Mexico 8 reales coin on Ebay that turned out to be a fake, in the pics it looked like a strong VF but when I got it I put it on the scale and it was 2 grams light. Sent that sucker back to the seller who had thousands of feedbacks at 100% positive. I wish more of these sellers would include the weight of their coins in their auctions.
    After that letdown, this week I just bought a slabbed 1883 Cazador 8 reales coin on ebay, can't wait to get it. That shipwreck story adds so much more to the coin.

13. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

14. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Moneditis,
    The letter spacing jumped out at me, especially the way "UTRAQUE" is stretched out. I would put it in the beyond doubtful category.

15. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Here are a couple of mine. Mexican 8 Reales 1761 MX8Reales1761Mo.jpg

16. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

And here is an 1879 8 Reales from independent Mexico (does that count in this thread?) MX8Reales1879ZsSmall.jpg

17. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

and one from Peru, 1807, Charles IV PE8Reales1807CarlosIV.jpg

18. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Now I have a question, Monetidis. Aside from the one with the oddly spaced VTRA Q U E, how can one identify the fakes a such--if the weight is right? I can see a couple of your "fake" examples are kind of beat up, but that's nothing unusual in coins a few hundred years old.

19. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

There are lots of details in the "art" of the coin...simmetry, dentils, metal excess, bubbles, strike lines, characters,...and XRF and electronic microscope

In Guatemala mint, VTRAQUE is usually that way in columnarios. Problems are in the obverse shield of this coin.

Just many 8 reales through my hands and reading makes me suspect...but the definitive tests are XRF and microscope.

20. RomanTheRussian

RomanTheRussian Well-Known Member

8 Reales, you say? I'll play ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]