79'-D nickel double die Obv wow!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by PinchApenny1982, May 19, 2017.

1. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

If you want to educate people tell them what it is. Not what it is not.

By the way, the proper Numismatic Terminology is “Doubled Die” with a “d” at the end of Double. Which means that the “Die” used to stamp a coin was slightly rotated when the “Die” was being made. Most other forms of “Doubling” come from “Die Chatter”, “Machine Doubling” and worn dies which create “Die Deterioration Doubling” when the “Coin” is being made.

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I know you're just trying to be funny:), but your explanation is incorrect.:( Rather, you should have said, "The word you're should have been capitalized.":D

Chris:woot:

SchwaVB57 likes this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Consider the source, Paddy.

If this was something our hero Mighty felt strongly about, we'd hear about it constantly, but since you dare to feel differently, you're the "problem". Notice the attacks mixed in a few strategic compliments intended mask his true intentions? Par for the course and comes from someone with a deep need to prove his own non-existent superiority, along with blow his own horn, as much or more than anyone on this board. Think about it.

On the other hand, perhaps count yourself fortunate he didn't threaten to break your jaw. You clarify the proper term for those who are new to it; big deal. Keep up the good and perfectly useful work.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Paddyman98 told me once. I never forgot. He does provide a service. You won't make the mistake again. He has that link on speed dial

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Cheech9712

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  7. Cheech9712

Oops. He did answer. My bad

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  8. bender9876

bender9876 Active Member

Seems like paddy might take lessons Edited:political Just saying

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
    paddyman98 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I have moved on in life... Better things to do and enjoy than waste my time arguing futile subjects :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
  10. bender9876

bender9876 Active Member

Well my mothers always advised better to keep mouth shut & be thought ignorant, then to open and remove all doubt. All the guy was doing was asking a question, not a lecture. Who,s arguing?

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

All of you must be older as you explain the doubled die processing as being a second squeeze of the working die after movement ( can be other than rotational), without explaining the most prevalent type of "DD" on the forum, the current "single squeeze" DD , which I have expressed before as a minority opinion as just mechanical stutter since it occurs in the final step of minting. Of course, many have profited quite well selling these and services related, so I guess they will continue as a 'dd', IMO. Jim

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Fair enough, but when "teaching" a child to walk do you expect them to hurdle first, or take it in baby steps? Your point is most certainly excellent, and not that you care, but is also one I personally agree with. However, when so many are so easily tripped up by a single letter, is it really wise to possibly confuse them even more by jumping into the single squeeze discussion? Perhaps it is; I really don't know. Just playing devil's advocate here.

That said, and in regards to those who have "profited", I cannot help but to view this in the same way I do grading as a whole. The standards I was initially taught were much more conservative than those used by the then-new PCGS or NGC, and have stuck with me to this day. Now, it's hard to reasonably argue that standards haven't become even more liberal, but I don't make the rules and have no real choice but to go with the flow. The majority think higher grades are automatically better, and that problems are not always a problem, so no one is going to listen to anything I say when the big boys tell them otherwise. Point is that since the majority seem to accept single squeeze "anomalies" as "doubled dies", who are we to argue against it, especially if they're helping to bring new blood into the hobby? Even if they were referred to as something other than "doubled dies", if people wish to search out, collect, or even pay up for them, so be it. It's not like this info isn't out there for those so inclined.

furham likes this.
  14. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Just testing my new signature addition...

Draft saved Draft deleted