79'-D nickel double die Obv wow!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by PinchApenny1982, May 19, 2017.

1. This ddobv. Stuck out at me big time. I know it's in a bit rough coin but is this coin worth holding? Or what does anyone recommend moving forward with it. Thx

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

All I see are Double Nickels with wear and tear due to circulation.

By the way.. The correct terminology is Doubled Die, not Double.. Big difference!

Quote - "Note that the proper terminology for this occurrence includes the letter 'd' at the end of the first word, hence "doubled die". The term "double die" without the first word ending in 'd' is not proper numismatic terminology." closed quote

I want to share this webpage with you -
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubled_die

Pocket_change likes this.
  4. Duly noted thx. But you don't see how more fat the letters and numbers are compared to the other same year coin? I put them together to easily see the difference that's all

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

The different width of the letters is obvious., but that is not any kind of "doubling".
    It usualy is from being hit with other coins and keys and everything else carried in a pocket. The blob of a mintmark is a telltail sign. And some thick design/lettering
    is caused by "Late Stage Die", "Die Deteriation".
    Compare how many dents are on each coin.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  6. Krd046

Krd046 Active Member

Man can't you let it go? your always out to make someone look bad. Just a small mention of it is fine. Geeze.

brokecoinguy likes this.
  7. paddyman98

No. Don't tell me what to do. I am educating people. If you don't like it that's to bad. If it were wrong I think the moderators would have told me something long ago. But I'm not doing anything wrong.
    I have been bringing great material and information to CoinTalk for a very long time. I have established a good standing with almost all the members. So you can hit the ignore button on me if you want... I wouldn't care a tiny bit at all!

Just look at my total number of posts and likes and compare them to yours.. Enough said.

8. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

*too bad.

Just educating people.

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

We get hundreds and hundreds of new collectors here on a regular basis, so it is understandable that certain terms need repeating over and over again.

By the way, it's you're rather than your. I won't mention it again!

Chris

dog_pound and V. Kurt Bellman like this.
  10. Krd046

Krd046 Active Member

So who is bigger ohhhh. I just think your manner in which you tell people about the double die is a bit strong. And I will tell you I don't like how it is you respond so you can ignore my opinion and move on with yourself too BUDDY

11. paddyman98

I will continue with my Doubled Die explanation everytime the opportunity arises. Just stay out of it. We don't need your unecessary and waste of time comments.

12. paddyman98

It's Doubled Die.. Not double :banghead:

SchwaVB57 and Stevearino like this.
  13. Krd046

Krd046 Active Member

That's fine you should continue, my problem is your way of demeaning people the way you do sometimes its constant and rather disgusting. Sure hope that is not how you educated any children, really, be a bit more subtle and less harsh. Life's to short BUDDY.

14. Krd046

Krd046 Active Member

Oh yeah DOUBLE DIE DOUBLE DIE DOULBE DIE :)

15. paddyman98

That is your opinion. I have been thanked many of times by members I have educated. I don't even know how it is demeaning or disgusting. You sir are just a silly person.

16. paddyman98

I know this better than anyone! I lost my dad at a very young age. The man who started me in numismatics! I do this because he taught me with patience and love and I share my knowledge with everyone with the same passion!

17. Larry Salemme

Larry Salemme Active Member

The people on here always help me, I always appreciate Paddy and Chris, Kurt and so on, they have much wisdom, if you are willing to learn coin collecting the right way then ask many questions, you will understand them better and why they give us their best conclusion on the pictures we present of each coin. We are Lucky to have these men and woman with experience helping us!

Stevearino and paddyman98 like this.
  18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Don't you have something better to do? This isn't Facebook.

Paddy, he's right. You're overly pedantic, and every time you make this correction you offer nothing of substance to answer the original question. That says you don't care about what the poster wants to know, but only to correct their grammar. You would be much more tolerable if you exercised some of your considerable knowledge to actually address the question, in addition. As it is, you come across as someone who's sole purpose here is to prove their superior knowledge at the expense of a rookie who doesn't know the proper terminology yet.

I know you. You're better than that.

@PinchApenny1982, keep in mind that the letter recesses in a die do not have vertical sides. They're tapered for strength, wider at the surface (on the die) than at the deep end (on the die). That means the struck coin's letters have a pyramidal profile; they're broader at the base than the top. As the coin wears, the letters become thicker in appearance, because they actually are thicker.

Do some looking into how die doubling (there, a term which can't be misapplied :) ) works. Only the weakest and closest-offset of doubled dies does not manifest in separated serifs, which should be the very first thing you look for when studying a coin for doubling. Very few doubled die strikes manifest only as thickening in the letters.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  19. paddyman98

Arrrrg! I always thought I was just trying to help! I don't think I am superior to anyone!

You know what.. Never again :(

Let them say what what they want.. But you will always remember in back of your thoughts my Doubled Die explanation! :rolleyes:

Peace :angelic:

20. paddyman98

Actually I do.. First I state it's not a Doubled Die. Then I give them my DD (which is accurate) explanation!

Or someone posts before me that it's not a Doubled Die.. I just add my explanation. ;)

If that's not substance to you then I don't know what is.

Peace :angelic:

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  21. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I liked the reply, but it should be Capital You're. It began a new sentence. I am trying to be funny, not critical.

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted