76D cent can why does it look like this?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by CDW, Apr 26, 2018.

1. CDW

CDW Active Member

39B20A5B-4EA5-4819-A04C-77B97CB1A0FD.jpeg 12B5C33E-199E-4698-A669-2041BEA1496D.jpeg 6754F831-C03C-4C86-9088-849D9AD726F8.jpeg B33CBA4A-58AD-4304-83AC-1234AE214C63.jpeg 3A2017F6-A3AB-4D1A-8F7B-D61A7BE84AD8.jpeg Color is very dull. Almost looks like someon spray painted it or put nail polish on it. I wiped it with a dry rag and nothing came off... tell me what you think

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

A really long acid bath?

circoincol likes this.
  4. CDW

CDW Active Member

Why would anyone do that?

5. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Experimenting.

6. circoincol

circoincol New Member

Sheesh! The thing looks like a legion of angry mites were very unhappy with it.

My best guess is acid because the metal looks eaten away rather than what you'd see in a "struck through" or a lamination error. In a sense it's "delaminated', but PMD in my opinion.

7. CDW

CDW Active Member

I figured it was PMD I thought it was painted At first. Thank you. Can you do me a favor and look at the other thread I posted I’m really excited/curious about it. The 61 cent thread

8. circoincol

circoincol New Member

Personally, I think it looks interesting, so I'd keep it just for that reason. I like to keep examples of damaged coins if they have some sort of appealing aspect and I do have a similar looking coin somewhere, in the "misfits" section lol ...For example, I have a set of 12 "Quin Dynasty" medals which I just learned were nickel and some pressed coins from my visits to zoos and such that I keep separate from my main collection.

9. CDW

CDW Active Member

I do the same thing I keep a lot just because I think they have character lol how old are those medals?

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Simple.. Environmental Damage
    I metal detect and have found copper cents such as your on beaches. Long exposure in sand will affect the surface. If it's buried for many years it's almost as if it were inside a rock tumbler. Sandblasted but in a slower method.

CDW and Pickin and Grinin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted