74s Eisenhour dollarsilver proof

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mike185, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

so I have two questions!

First.. I pull this guy out and noticed a lite cloudiness huge going on and pulled it out of the 2x2. Whats the safes way to clean it up with out scratching it ( and without acetone)

Two... what Variety is this?? Sorry I’m being lazy and haven’t looked it up. I have had it for about little over two years..

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The haze is common on Ikes, you are better off leaving it alone.

Mike185 likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

MS 70

Mike185 likes this.
  5. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

Also, don't put it back in a 2x2. Put in an airtite of some sort or it will continue to get worse.

Mike185 likes this.
  6. Mike185

Ms 70 really!!! Here more pic. So out of stubbornness I used a q tip a slightly wiped a small part one time and it took some of the haziness off. Should I go further or really just leave it alone. Is this a Canaday For grading?? (I’m itching to send one)

Attached Files:

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Really, I am not questioning you at all. Didn't know it removed the haze. Maybe I am thinking of the spotting.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Brown Box Ikes are notorious for 'hazing'. I don't think acetone will work, but I've always let mine 'be'.........

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Do not touch the surfaces of a proof with anything. It will kill the coin.

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Milk spots it won't do anything for, but it does a nice job with a lot of haze

11. Mike185

Thanks guys

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I've never had a lot of success with acetone removing haze on Ikes, I use a diluted ez-est. I know dip is a no-no, but it has worked for me in those cases.

And don't do ANY wiping on a proof. Those mirrors are delicate.

13. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

Does the white haze turn colorful? After 40 years in my safe deposit box, 2 of mine show some color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No, not that I have ever seen.

15. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

You can ROLL a Q-tip over it, but never wipe or swirl it. It is like cleaning a mirror with sandpaper.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But if you slip while you are rolling, opps you just wiped. I'd rather swish it around in a quantity of acetone. Nothing but flowing liquid, no chance of scratching or hairlining.

17. Mike185

I’m going to dilstill water and aacetone and try on a couple of silver quarters.

Thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted