$720 for a 2021 CC Morgan?? What is going on??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gam3rBlake, May 8, 2022.

1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I have 3 of these 2021 CCs in MS70 and can’t even seem to get $300.

Is there something unique about this coin compared to other PCGS MS70 2021 CC Morgans?? o_O

76C961C0-0DDA-4B95-8C6D-12E1513A04C8.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

The only thing unique is the person placing the bid! :D

Noah Worke and Gam3rBlake like this.
  4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Don’t get me started on these replica Morgans.

5. Gam3rBlake

I like them! I have a full MS70 set myself.

BUT this coin even in MS70 is still only like a $275 coin. Not a $720 coin.

Mine are the exact same coin except it has the First Strike and if someone offered me $300 right now for it I would sell it to them in a heartbeat because even $300 is a great price for the seller.

Inspector43 and Morgandude11 like this.
  6. Gam3rBlake

That’s true! Maybe they accidentally made a mistake in their bidding like I did when I went way overboard with my bid with this coin 2 days ago because I got it mixed up with a Julius Caesar denarius that I was also tracking.

I only meant to bid $350 on this coin but I accidentally bid $350 on the Julius Caesar and placed my Caesar bid on this one. o_O

BFC6A0C2-0D19-41DC-8135-C7EE259011ED.jpeg

7. Gam3rBlake

See what I mean?
    They could buy this coin right now on EBay for $290 BIN.

This person even allows returns.

D9A2D6A7-6307-4B23-8224-FE91704A0C5A.png

8. Gam3rBlake

Omg someone bid even higher on the Peace Dollar!! What on Earth is going on??
    8B473A60-B3BC-421F-864E-BE7FB4AC5F93.png

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Damn! Time to send yours over to Heritage! j/k

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  10. Gam3rBlake

Lol! Well the thing is there are others of the same type and grade with much lower bids.

That’s why I’m so confused as to what is going on.

These ones with super high bids aren’t even First Strikes! I know FS is just a gimmick but at those bids the bidder should demand every single gimmick available.

Inspector43, Vertigo and fretboard like this.
  11. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

Big, established sellers usually get the best prices, as they've developed a big market and they're very much a known quantity.

But that sort of casts my explanation aside. I know people get into bidding wars but with like alternatives ready to hand this is just looney.

Inspector43 and Gam3rBlake like this.
  12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Some people are just crazy. Plus, those coins are SOOO ugly. I just don't get it. For that kind of money...grab a high end gem 1880-S and have the real thing.

Both of those coins look like Liberty had botched plastic surgery.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  13. Gam3rBlake

They aren’t bad coins. Like I said I got a full MS70 set for myself.

Everyone has different tastes and preferences.

These Morgans could get people interested in collecting. They might get one as a gift and collect the rest and then decide to start going for the older Morgans.

The price paid is what’s crazy. Not the fact that someone likes them and wants to buy them.

green18 and Maxfli like this.
  14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Somebody overpaid for a coin on eBay. Now that's really being full of news.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    Morgandude11 likes this.
  15. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Think a lot depends on how many people are being reached with the selling/marketing...eBay reaches a lot...plus there are a certain few with money to burn and little time/patience to search far-wide for better deals...they don't care or don't need to find what else is out there. These sort of insane prices/bids are not the norm, comparatively and percentage-wise. But as they say,
    "it doesnt hurt to ask"...you never know.

16. Gam3rBlake

That’s true. I just wasn’t sure if maybe I was missing something. Like maybe there was something I didn’t see about these coins that makes them different from mine.

17. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

No, they aren’t bad coins. They are just not real Morgans—they are commemoratives. As such, they do not bear much resemblance to the original. Are they decent commemoratives? Yes. Do they deserve to be gouged at insane prices? No. One could get a MS 66+ common date original Morgan for that much money. I could understand buying one at the original mint price, if one likes modern commemoratives.

eddiespin likes this.
  18. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Privy....as in Provo's. Some krap we just have to pay for, sometimes.

19. Gam3rBlake

Yeah I agree they are commemoratives. To be clear though this one is way overbid so getting 66+ common date Morgan for this coin might not be possible for the true $275-$300 that these coins sell for.

But even as commemoratives I think they will always have a strong demand because they were made by the US Mint. If they were struck privately they’d be selling at $5 over spot.

You should check how much a 1995 W proof American Silver Eagle sells for in MS70. ;)

20. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

We are all welcome to our own opinions...and sometimes our opinions are colored when we sold a pile of them for a big profit.

As someone who heavily collects original Morgan and Peace Dollars and have studied those designs in great detail...my opinion is they did a poor job replicating the design and that they are ugly. They honestly remind me of a celebrity who had work done poorly by their plastic surgeon.

That said, if you like them then buy them. This is a wonderful hobby that we all look at differently which is why it is so fun.

But, even at $200...I don't see why someone would buy one of these when a gorgeous 1880-S could be had for the same money.

Also FWIW, I think the 1921 Morgan's are ugly too.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's because they are ugly. They look like imitations.

Morgandude11 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted