72 Imperial Portraits = one and a half kilos of roman bronze

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Julius Germanicus, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Last week I visited the bank safe and managed to assemble an up-to-date group photo of my Sestertius portrait gallery:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-21 um 21.05.46.png

Here are the reverses:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-21 um 21.16.59.png

I´m sure some of you have tried something similar. How far did you get in silver or whatever metal?

Dafydd, tibor, Valentinian and 31 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Whatever other good characteristics (if any?) Otho may have had, the hobby will never forgive his lack of sestertii. Pescennius Niger had an excuse since he never took Rome but Otho was just thoughtless of his place in numismatic history. :troll:

4. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

There's something about viewing an appealing assembled collection that puts my OCD at rest.

Great job. That assortment is absolutely delightful.

Julius Germanicus and Broucheion like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Haha, damn you Otho!

What a great shot & collection of Sestertii!

Julius Germanicus likes this.
  6. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

An amazing collection - thank you for posting! Some stunning coins to be sure!

7. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

At least Otho did strike roman-style middle bronzes with latin legends in Antioch (like the one included in my tray), but the Sestertius-sized provincials of Niger are all either fake or prohibitively expensive, so I can do without.

A far worse crime to the nerves of this collector is the knowledge that Sestertii WERE struck for ineffective Caesars like Britannicus, Valerian II and Saloninus, and empresses like Agrippina the Younger, Domitia, Plautilla, Aquilia Severa, and Tranquillina to name a few that will always be missing.
    But by far the worst phantom pain I feel is the need for a Sestertius of Aemilian (the last major player still missing here).
    I have a nice Ant to trade if someone here has a budget specimen to offer (please send me a PM).

NewStyleKing likes this.
  8. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Wow—what a fabulous collection!

9. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

If you're mostly interested in the portraits, might you consider a provincial of Aemilian from Viminacium? They're about the same size, have Latin legends and are more affordable.

Draft saved Draft deleted