71-D Ike FEV

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by kbabyjohnson01, May 11, 2013.

1. kbabyjohnson01

kbabyjohnson01 40 Years Cancer FREE

Is this a 1971-D Eisenhower FEV? I think it is. I know a coin is only as valuable as one will pay for it...but what worth would you assign to this if one were going to sell it. Thanks for all inputs.

71ikeobv.jpg

71ikerev.jpg

71ikeapollo.jpg This is the "Apollo" area

71ikeN.jpg This is the "N" in One

71ikeL.jpg This is the "L" in One

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kbabyjohnson01

71ikeeye.jpg This is the eagle's eye
    71ikegulf.jpg This is the islands and gulf
    71ikemm.jpg the mintmark

4. bhaugh

bhaugh AKA - 1872Hokie

Based on the Islands in the gulf, it looks like a 1971-D Type 1 to me. Nice find! With it's inclusion in the new Red Book, I can definately see more attention being drawn to this coin. If you're looking to sell it, send me a PM.

5. kbabyjohnson01

Thanks for the verification. Please keep an eye out for some other postings from me after I am able to get the shots on a few other Ike's that I need opinions on (not FEV's).

6. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

7. kbabyjohnson01

I got my information on the FEV from this site:
    http://www.ikegroup.info/?page_id=216

Having read further down and re-examining this coin....I am going to try and get better close-ups of the lettering on both the obverse and reverse. The article states that "a strong FEV obverse DDO is present with and without a paired DDR."

8. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

All you need is the a photo of the Earth. Nothing else, such as the mintmark, N in ONE, L in DOLLAR, Apollo area(what the heck is that anyway?) is necessay for identifying this variety.

Value: Maybe $5 for your AU58 example.

9. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

The "IKE GROUP" likes to complicate things with their descriptions although I can understand some of the relevance.

Items 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10 have absolutely no meaning to the casual variety collector and IMO, they left off one of the most important vuisually identifying features:

The upper right crate has what appears to be a rock falling off its facing rim or more accurately, has separated from the facing rim.

[​IMG]

They never seem to mention this but to me, its an eye visible identifier. Instead, they've focused on the "flow lines" for the craters over ONE and DOLLAR! While there is a definite difference, how many people can even spot this difference? Even after it's explained to them?

Personally, I never even look at the eagles head which is subject to hits and scrapes or the "flow lines". It's just too complicated. I first look for the rock on the crater then look at the earth. In hand, this is a no brainer but getting a good look at the earth in a photograph can be perplexing. Between the rock and the earth, photographic identification should be a breeze without having to strain to see the eyebrow or those flow lines and eagle breast feathers.

[​IMG]

The Gulf of Mexico is unique in shape to this coin AND the Susan B Anthorny Reverse. From a technical aspect, there's also a peninsula on the East Coast (which never gets mentioned) that looks like this " > ". In the past, these were marketd as "modified east coast" coins.

Here's some highlighting on what to visually "compare":

1971-D Earth Arrows (C).jpg

Note how "round" the Gulf of Mexico on the RDV-006 is compared to the Standard Gulf on the RDV-001?
    Note the East Coast has the jutting peninsula (although this is difficult to detect in "some" photographs.
    Note the "configuration" of the Islands off the coast of Florida. 3 Distinct Islands on the RDV-001 and a cluster of 4 to 7 (depending upon strike) Islands on the RDV-006?

It's really not that difficult until you get into descriptions that require analysis such as "Florida is pointing more to the South" (as compared to?) and "America is higher in Relief" (as compared to??)

It used to blow me away when I';d read descriptions on the different Eisenhower Dollar Varieties that included items which could in fact be affected by strike and wear. Things sich as "the Earth is Rounder" or "The Earth is flattened between 8:00 and 10:00". Who writes this stuff anyway??

My expoerience with variety attribution is that the more complex you make it, the less interesting it is and if there was ever a coin which does not need to be LESS Interesting, its the Eisenhower Dollar. 90% of the IKE Varieties are easily identifiable with a minimum of research.

BTW, this is in no way intended to slur or slam the IKE Group as I started Variety Collecting as a newbie and I like to communicate as a newbie. I asked all the same machine doubling questions and really had no idea what I was doing. My first 1971-D FEV was a crap shoot where I didn't have a clear picture on what to look for so I blindly purchased two at a local coin shoow in response to a buy post on the PCGS Forums. I had to send one of the coins out to the buyer and wait for him to tell me it was an FEV!

After I purchased my 1st 1972 Type 2 from DLRC, I still could not distinguish the difference between it and the Type 1's and Type 3's all because the descriptions were obtuse. (Is that a newbie word?)

It was only through careful observation that things started to make sense but it kinda baffled me as that 1st Type 2 and those two FEV's set me back $300 and $250 respectively.

My goal is to make spotting these coins easy/peasy which they are.

Draft saved Draft deleted