7 Portuguese billon or copper coins, ~1400s?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by The Eidolon, Jan 22, 2021.

1. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

I got these 7 unattributed small coppers as a lot recently as a lot for about $20.
    The proprietor thought they might be from Spain, but I'm guessing Portugal from the castle with 3 towers on the front and shield with 9 symbols on the back. Here's a similar example from Numista. Is there a good way to try to attribute these? They don't seem to be dated and it's hard to make out the inscriptions. I don't have any specialty reference books for this area, and my Krause guides start at 1600. I'm assuming 1400-1500s as a likely date and copper or billon composition. Most are about 16~18 mm diameter except the bottom one which is 20 mm. Thanks!
    ob.jpg rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

@The Eidolon

These coins seem to be quite the puzzle. However, if I were in your position, I'd probably stick to Numista and browse sold auction listings as well. Regardless, I'd say your best bet is to probably compare your coins with the various entries for Portuguese ceitils on Numista.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    NOS likes this.
  4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

s-l300.jpg I've had some success using Ekland's booklets on early copper coins, but I don't have the Portugal edition.

These are old reprints from articles in the Numismatist. Not the greatest pics, but I think they're relatively cheap

If you can make out enough of the inscription, try plugging it into the search engine at MA Shops. I've used that trick before to ID medieval coins

5. Bardolph

Bardolph Active Member

I think these are all Portuguese cetils, worth one sixth of a silver real, reign of King Alfonso V (1438 to 1481)- but better individual photos would help

6. The Eidolon

Thanks for all the advice. I had to wait for better light to get individual photos, but here they are. I've tried to keep them in the same order as before.
    1: 2.16 g, 19 mm
    1a.JPG
    1b.JPG
    2: 1.44 g, 18 mm
    2a.JPG
    2b.JPG
    3: 1.03 g, 19 mm
    3a.JPG
    3b.JPG
    4: 1.51 g, 18 mm
    4a.JPG
    4b.JPG

7. The Eidolon

And the last three:
    5: 0.87 g, 18 mm
    5a.JPG
    5b.JPG
    6: 1.35 g, 18 mm
    6a.JPG
    6b.JPG
    7: 1.89 g, 20 mm
    7a.JPG
    7b.JPG

talerman likes this.
  8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I've used this for early Spanish. If I recall, there isn't that much on Portugal. I have a copy but won't have access for a couple days.

upload_2021-1-23_15-51-1.png

The Eidolon likes this.
  9. Bardolph

Bardolph Active Member

Yes! The last six are definitely Portuguese cetils from the reign. of Alfonso V. There are a number of varieties but they all consist in a castle with waves at the foot.
    These coins also circulated quite widely in northern Spain and were known as cetils.
    In portuguese, they are called ceitils. You can find some of them on Numista Portugal.

I need to check out coin No 1, but it is probably a cetil too

The Eidolon likes this.
  10. jtlartgallery

jtlartgallery Active Member

I think that with the improved photos that some of the coins can be attributed to Emmanuel 1 1495-1521 MANU is clear in the legends

The Eidolon likes this.
  11. The Eidolon

Yes, thanks @jtlartgallery, I can se "MANV" or part of it on some of them.
    The second one is one of the clearest. I can make out part of "RP ET" on the obverse and "MANV... GVINEE" on the reverse. The castle has a full wall and the towers have segments and windows, which I think is Group 5. I was embarrassed by the low quality of these, but it looks like most of the ones on Numista are comparable. I'll see what I can make out on the others.

Edit: Trying to figure out the abbreviations on the legend;
    EMANVEL · R · P .ET · A · D · GVINEE
    Is probably Manuel I, King of Portugal and Algarve, Lord of Guinea
    Reverse: EMANVEL · R · P .ET · A
    Manuel I, King of Portugal and Algarve
    Where Algarve is the southern part of Portugal reconquered from the Moors (Al-Gharb) in 1294, and Guinea is the Portuguese colony in Africa.
    2a.JPG 2b.JPG

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    talerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted