65 year old red seal $2 bill

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lisa Coates, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Lisa Coates

Lisa Coates Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

Hello and welcome to CT.

Those are a common bill and yours has been around the block a few times. Condition is everything and that one is worth face value with all the folds, creases, and non significant serial #.

That's a bill I would leave as a tip and watch the server get a funny look on their face.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Are you nuts? Spend it at a Mickey D's and hope they call the cops on you for attempting to pass counterfeit currency.

This actually happened twice, once in Maryland and once in Texas several years ago, and the suspects were arrested, but when the authorities were informed that it was real US currency, they were sued, BIG TIME!

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Unlike coins, the date on the bill is most likely not the actual date. And they will continue printing bills with that date if there is no design change. IDK when they stopped printing this bill, but if was in the 1960's I would not be surprised.
    $3 value.

6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

As others have said, it really doesn't have much value above face. But it if you like it, definitely keep it. You only have $2 tied up in it.

7. Lisa Coates

Lisa Coates Member

Thanks everyone, one of my Mom’s friends who is 83 and got this bill in her 20’s wanted to know if it was worth anything.

8. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

from http://www.uspapermoney.info/serials/u1953bb.html

Series 1953B $2

A breakdown of this series by date of production is not presently available. According to BEP records, notes of this series were delivered to the Treasury between September 1961 and July 1962.

The table below shows the serial number ranges produced for the regular and star notes in this series. Serial numbering continues on from the last serial used for Series 1953A.

Regular Notes Star Notes
    A 633 60001 A - A 741 60000 A * 028 80001 A - * 036 00000 A

Lisa Coates likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted