'65 and '69 quarters

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jason is new, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Jason is new

Jason is new Member

20190826_2208451514940757.jpg 20190826_220342331590573.jpg [Beginner collector here. So i have these two qaurters i found at my job, and im wondering if i should send them to grade.
    Im worried that the hair will make it not mint state, cause im seeing photos online where the head is more detailed.
    The '65 quarter is filled with very fine scratches.
    Also, sorry for the quality, tried my darnest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Pictures are not showing up but I can tell you already that they are not worth grading.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

You are looking at $70+ to send 2 coins in. It's rarely worth it to send pocket change in for grading.

5. Jason is new

Jason is new Member

Ok thanks, so how do you know which coins to send?

6. just a penny.. right

just a penny.. right Active Member

That 69 d is not rare but sure hard to find in circulation. There is a DDO variety for that date if I remember right...

Jason is new likes this.
  7. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Keep them if you like, although they're definitely not worth grading.
    They're not a rare variety, or even MS.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

.50 cents
    69-Ds are super common out here where we get 95%+ D coins.
    The 65's I find almost every day.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

untitled.png
    You have to learn how to grade, but you're not going to find coins worthy of submitting for grading in circulation.

Chris

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. just a penny.. right

Common for those to say, they are common. But don't specifically search for that date. Than 1 one would perhaps know how uncommon they have become..

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Why does everyone want to send coins to get graded all of a sudden? Some kind of new fad? o_O

12. just a penny.. right

The next generation. Our trash is becoming their treasure. I don't want to discourage any1.

Inspector43 and paddyman98 like this.
  13. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

New generation watching too much TV.

14. just a penny.. right

I like you 69 D. When all the bills are paid. And you won't miss the money. That would be the 1.... I would tpg.... It's a personal choice....

15. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

When your cost, plus the grading fees, postage, insurance et al is less than the graded coin will be worth.

Needs to have a pretty accurate estimate of the grade of the coin for determining value. So that's the first thing to learn.

Inspector43 likes this.
  16. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

When your cost, plus the grading fees, postage, insurance et al is less than the graded coin will be worth.

Needs to have a pretty accurate estimate of the grade of the coin for determining value. So that's the first thing to learn.

17. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

1). For a more accurate assessment of your coins, take them out of the case.

2). Take your pictures of the coins directly over the coins (not at an angle) and as close as possible.

3). Take pictures of both sides of your coins.

So money is no object? Submit them both, problem solved. Post the results here when you get them back.

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

These two quarters would have to grade MS-67 or better to cover the grading fees. Not something you will find in circulation. A person might find one inside a mint set but it will require a lot of searching. It won't be easy because most sets have already been searched.
    With that said, A person must be able to spot and grade a coin at that level when they find it. Learning that is an art that takes time.

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

But Larry, these people don't want to learn about numismatics. They just want to find the pot at the end of the rainbow. Don't discourage them. Let them send these coins in for grading, and when they finally learn that they have wasted their time and money, maybe they will stop wasting our time with their ridiculous questions.

Chris

frankjg likes this.
  20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Your generalization is without facts. These have not become uncommon. Just because you don't see a lot of them, that's a polling sample size of 1.
    They minted 114 million. They aren't rare, they haven't been melted, the survival rate is way over 100 million. You have no idea what dates I am or aren't looking for.
    This coin is worth a quarter.
    Why do people feel the need to argue a losing point and fill up some neophytes head with utter nonsense?
    "Oh yeah that 1969-D quarter is great." Um no, no it's not. It's pocket change. Circulated junk. It's just a quarter. It's nothing

21. just a penny.. right

I was not trying to fight. 100k quarters searched and I have only 2. I didn't say it was rare.

Draft saved Draft deleted