'64 Proof Kennedy - Accented Hair?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by skully88, Oct 20, 2016.

1. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Which reminds me; I never answered your question from some weeks back. My apologies....

That said, I sometimes enjoy doing the devil's work.... ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

No. I quoted what Gilroy Roberts wrote. Not sure how you miss understood that, unless you were just trying to make a joke at my expense which I think backfired.

4. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

This post went downhill quickly...... Good Lord o_O

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I see you're incapable of using logic too!

Just to prove my point that your reference to GR's comment is either wrong or misquoted by you, it's "misunderstood", not "miss understood"!

IGNORE!

Chris

6. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

Wow! So the designer of the coin was wrong on what he said, saw, heard or did? Reminds me of the movie, “A few Good Men” when Jack said “You can’t handle the truth.”
    Train Stop.jpg

7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Somehow having a less pronounced part in the hair and more accents added has translated into she wanted less accents in the hair.

Just my 4 bits on the subject,

Thanks for your time in reserch to post a link to this most inportant document. I really enjoyed reading it. And now I know.

8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Is it only the 64 proof that has the accented hair variety or does the 64 business strike have it too?

9. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Because when the coin was presented to Mrs. Kennedy for approval, she didn,t like the hair detail and asked if it could be changed. That,s why the A H Kennedy got it,s name. Several other items were changed on the coin at the same time...the serif on the I in Liberty and the reverse was completely modified at that time. The old design was the AH type 1 rev., and the new coin was the modified obv. with the type 2 rev. Several die varieties are common on 64 Kennedys...the type 1 and type 2 reverses are found on the later PF coins struck in 1964, and on 1964 P&D business strikes.

10. foundincirculation

foundincirculation New Member

Commonly called the "Wishbone". It is my identifier of choice. Sometimes the missing serif is hard for me to identify when holding the coin in my hand.

11. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

What was the reason for the missing serif? Actually designed that way? Filled die? Over polished die?

Unless it was actually designed that way (unlikely), it's likely that a number of coins were produced before the serif disappeared. Therefore, solely using that feature as a marker may be overdoing it a bit. Some AH halves may exist with a full serif.

12. chascat

It was designed that way...all A H Kennedys have the so called missing serif. All type 2 coins have the full serif. Kennedy Halves were designed and struck in a panic in order to be placed into circulation as fast as possible. Type 1 Kennedys were only struck for about a week. The type 2 coins were coins were totally redesigned both obv. and rev. including the designer,s initials.

13. chascat

Only the proof coin has the type 1 and type 2 obv....by the way, the A H Kennedy was not even discovered until the early 80s by Rick Tomaska.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  14. Joea59

Joea59 Member

You are so right. And it does not just happen here but in a lot of other sites. It takes away from the topic and is a real turn off.

chascat likes this.
  15. chascat

By the way...when you encounter a mint sealed proof set with the A H Kennedy in it, the Roosevelt Dime is almost always the pointed 9 variety.

micbraun and mikenoodle like this.
  16. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

With the scrutiny given to all mint issues it seems odd that something as obvious as a missing serif on a fairly large letter would go unnoticed for 16 years. And why on earth would the mint introduce a deliberate defect into their design?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  17. chascat

Back in the 60s, the mint didn,t conduct business as they do now...The Kennedy proof was a rush job as instructed by Congress to get the coins out ASAP. The collectors of the day didn,t pay much mind to detail as they do now, in fact the Mint didn,t even mention the hair thing at all! None of this was serious business for collectors in 1964, and yes, no one studied the details of the Kennedy until years later after the silver melt of the 80s.

18. RickO

RickO Active Member

I have four mint sets (in cellophane and envelope) with the Accented Hair ..... They often appear when gun shows have the occasional coin table... Pick them up real cheap....

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Squirrel!

bdunnse likes this.
  20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Mint Sets...I thought the AH was only in proof sets?

bdunnse likes this.
  21. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Sure, until I get my Dremel out.

Draft saved Draft deleted