'64 Proof Kennedy - Accented Hair?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by skully88, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

No fame or prizes, just point out how sometimes stories get turned around over time. I thought the story was true also, until I started digging into it.

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

How do we know that this isn't the last comment in "your" circle of friends?

According to this statement, Gilroy Roberts quoted Jacqueline Kennedy who quoted Mrs. Kennedy, so the last Kennedy quoted must be Rose or Ethel.

Just my half-dollar's worth!

Chris

4. Tim C

Tim C Active Member

Wow! What is the old saying, “You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink?”

Some I take it drink Kool-Aid. The letter dated 04-30-1964 accompanied by the notes of Gilroy Roberts and Frank Gasparro dated 04-29-1964 that Caleb attached clearly shows Gilroy Roberts stating that Jacqueline Kennedy communicated directly to him.

Sometimes I get upset with Caleb when in is too blunt but this time he basically called you an idiot and with your help it has been proven.

5. cpm9ball

Before you start calling someone an idiot, you'd better go back an re-read his posts. Caleb never posted any letter or even made mention of a letter. He spoke of a meeting, and the quote he offered is misleading or was copied incorrectly because how can "Mrs. Kennedy suggest that Mrs. Kennedy was impressed"?

So, either your have a problem with reading comprehension or you should look in a mirror to find the real idiot.

Chris

6. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

Chris,

Look again at post 19 in this thread. The letter is attached.

7. Tim C

Tim C Active Member

Thanks for again, proving my point.

Reading comprehension is not my issue and I imagine the image looking back in the mirror is your own reflection.

If you bothered to read Caleb’s post, at the bottom where it says “Attached File” you will notice let64Adams[1].pdf

8. cpm9ball

The attachment doesn't open for me.

Chris

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

This seems to be a recent trend, Chris.

People ask seemingly simple questions and when given an answer, they are picked apart, corrected (sometimes wrongly) and berated.

This is a community, not google. People trying to help other people will not always yield precise information, and at times, the information can even be inaccurate, but the community that is built from the interaction is a great resource for the future.
    It's a shame that people feel the need to call each other names and parse people's words in order to tell them that their answers are wrong. It doesn't make them appear more knowledgeable, it just makes them look like jerks.

Hopefully, all of them will eventually either cross a line and get banned, or will encounter such a growing number of people that ignore them thus rendering their answers and their new threads useless.

Joea59 likes this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Chris,

I originally approached Post #19 from my Macintosh Mini, which is my media "server" on my home entertainment system. While the attachment didn't "open" per se in my browser, it did download to my folder where pdf's go. You really need to take a gander at the letter, Chris.

On the larger point - - - I have come to realize that the numismatic hobby is prone to "story perpetuation" rather than research worthy of the name. Many things "everybody knows" simply are not true, and many other things many people deny are quite factually true. We need to redouble our efforts to not accept and repeat "stories" without independent verification. However, this never has been the Internet's long suit, eh?

Some say we are in a "post-truth world" and many people blame current political candidates. I don't; I blame the Internet. Too many writers; too few editors.

green18 and Tim C like this.
  11. Tim C

Tim C Active Member

Love it!
    Cpm9ball started it with his post #17 and then compounded with post #22.

And as far as parsing people’s words, may I suggest you go back in read post #22. All I did was call him out on the carpet for doing so, and I agree with your comment, “It doesn’t make them appear more knowledgeable, it just makes them look like jerks.” The phase that comes to mind is “The pot calling the kettle black”.

Getting back to cpm9ball, my earlier comment was probable too harsh, at the time I did not know he was unable to open the pdf file. I will try to find a link to the pdf file that he can open.

12. mikenoodle

Hey Kurt, would you send me a copy of the letter?

13. V. Kurt Bellman

Consider it done, when I get home. Podcast address okay?

14. mikenoodle

works like a charm.

Thank you

15. cpm9ball

I appreciate your consideration. However, ever since I made the fatal mistake of upgrading to Win10, things have never been the same. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the brightest star in the sky when it comes to computers, but @Tim C was out of line when he started the name-calling. That is why I've put him on "Ignore" and I consider this subject closed. He can clean up his own stables.

Chris

16. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Funny that the actual "accents" in Kennedy's hair have absolutely nothing to do with the part. But, why bother with reality since a good BS story is so much easier to digest?

17. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

So, you think those who don't approach a subject or act as you want them to should "hopefully" be banned? Honestly, Mike; do you not see the problem with this? Do you wish to have a community, where different schools of thought or approaches coexist (diversity) or essentially a coin forum cult where everyone must think, act, and do the same because that's what you prefer and/or think best?

With all due respect, I'd much rather be around a brash individual who speaks his mind and cares for fact/truth, than someone who is afraid to say/speak it because it might hurt someone's precious little feelings. Real life doesn't have safe spaces... at least not yet anyway.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

I sent it to you about 5 minutes ago. 6 page PDF.

mikenoodle likes this.
  19. V. Kurt Bellman

Books, you've succinctly stated why I'm considering emigrating to the UK, for retirement. When Gen-X takes over, this country won't be fit to live in.

OTOH, you ARE a tad easy to set off. Watch, I'll show you:

"Daniel Carr".

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I feel sorry for OP asking the question. This thread went to Hades in a hand basket since I last checked in. The original question begged the implorance (dat a word?) of the community to discern if his piece was 'accented hair'. It ain't, thread closed.......Now stop the blasted acrimony.

dwhiz, Johndoe2000$ and Paul M. like this.
  21. V. Kurt Bellman

Yup, it ain't, but the one on post#12 is, and other posts tell why.

Oh, and I got a cool meme pic from post#20 that WILL be used elsewhere.

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted