61D Lincoln Cud or Planchet error??? Idk

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by CDW, Apr 26, 2018.

1. CDW

CDW Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

PMD on that one too. Pretty rough looking.

4. CDW

CDW Active Member

Even the spot on the U in United?

5. CDW

CDW Active Member

And yes very rough

6. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Don't know what that's about. Some might say some sort of cud but I dunno. Looks more like somebody playing with it. The spot looks foreign.

7. Willysilver

Willysilver HEADS UP Supporter

Good eye though

CDW likes this.
  8. CDW

CDW Active Member

Bummer I was hoping for my first Cud lol thank you
    The search continues!!!

9. circoincol

circoincol New Member

It looks PMD to me. The extra metal looks separate from the coin, like it's been forced into the letter. CUDs would generally have smoother edges, would appear to be a part of the coin itself rather than in two pieces.

As for CUDs, I can help you there. Look on the reverse of the 2017 and 2017 D cent. The upper border of the shield has them and is common. In addition to that, try looking at the bottom right too for die cracks. I've found a few recently and am intending to post a few picks someday in the near future, once I get around to doing it lol

edit: Many other shield-years cents have CUDs in the same area, but the 2017 really stands out as a quick source for them.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  10. circoincol

circoincol New Member

Great picks, btw. I recently bought an endoscope that I intend to post picks from. It's got decent magnification on it, but I don't think mine will be as clear as yours are.

11. CDW

CDW Active Member

I will do that thank you very much

circoincol likes this.
  12. CDW

CDW Active Member

Mine is just a attachemen on my cell phone. It clips on like a case and the lens screws on and off. Works very well though.its called a CAMKIX.

13. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

The " U " of United has a die chip ..

14. CDW

CDW Active Member

On the bottom of it where it looks like a part is missing?

15. circoincol

circoincol New Member

I'm old school. The only phone I have is on a landline, and better yet, it's a rotary lol

I wanted to mention one more thing.

With circulated coins of this age you often have various particles imparted onto the coin, not limited to metal. They often include torn pieces of the coin getting pressed into any cavities near it or elsewhere on the field. I've seen countless examples where it was very evident that an element of a coin, a letter for example, was scratched off or scraped or hammered repeatedly, forming interesting ridges and filling in the cavity of a nearby letter.

That said, there's a possibility it could be a strike through, but given the age of the coin, and how much a beating is evident (a lot, here), the point becomes moot because of the sheer amount of obvious PMD there is on the coin. Whether or not a CUD is present is immaterial because the rest of the coin has significant damage to it.

CDW likes this.
  16. CDW

CDW Active Member

To say the least lol I know it’s nothing to write mom about or worth anything but I don’t ask about coins to see there worth I want to know if I’m looking at what I think I am and find coins I think are cool. That being said I am not against making a buck if some how I come across a coin that’s worth a good price I’m not opposed to seeing what I can get lol but I just like keeping them really. And keep the knowledge coming I like to be informed so I’m not posting non sense

17. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

I agree this look like a die chip to me as well.

A CUD is a die break (Not chip) that is attached to the rim.

Here is a helpful site that explains the difference between Die Breaks and Cuds.
    http://cuds-on-coins.com/

Spark1951 and Rick Stachowski like this.
  18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@CDW I also say it's a Die Chip
    The other members who posted earlier seem to not know what they are talking about :facepalm:

Die Chips occur inside the field. CUDs are involved with the rim. Here is a Die Chip (break) that I own -
    2007P-a.jpg

Here is a book on CUDs with pictures on the cover from my collection -
    20180424_165455.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Cheech9712 and phankins11 like this.
  19. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It's a die chip. The chip has nothing to do with PMD. Cool find and even though it really doesn't add any value, I would keep.

Spark1951 and coinsareus10 like this.
  20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Hey I'm interested in seeing one too.

21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Is the land line missing some letters by the #'s like a Q or something. Super rare. Can you post a pic

Draft saved Draft deleted