61 Jefferson Misprint?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CrescentCoin, Jan 19, 2020.

1. CrescentCoin

CrescentCoin New Member

Hey guys, I’m the cashier at my restaurant and just got into collecting coins. I’ve found quite a few older dimes and nickels but this one struck my eye. It a 61 Jefferson, no mint mark, but it looks to be a misprint. Can anyone else chime in on this?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I took a good look and unfortunately it looks to be circulation damage. The date took a hit. The rest is wear.
    No mint mark means it was minted at the Philadelphia mint.

- Mr. Ed
    (Specializing in collecting mint errors since 1985)

Oldhoopster likes this.
  4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Coins are not "misprinted"

Either way, this is just a worn out nickel, probably seen quite a few restaurants and tip jars in its time.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's just worn from circulation and coins are minted, not printed. Stamps are printed bit this isn't a stamp.

Welcome to CT.

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to the neighborhood. The 61 int the date took a severe hit while in circulation, meaning it is PMD, post mint damage, and not an error. Keep looking and ask questions when in doubt. Good luck.

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I would be inclined to think an aggressive coin roll crimping marching took a swipe at it a very long time ago. I see several inconsistencies around the perimeter of the nickel. Welcome to CT and do keep looking though. Coin collecting starts simply enough but becomes a lifetime joy.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I focused on the misprint and forgot about the date. My apologies. The date, 61, took a hit and was flattened. It's damaged after it left the Mint.

Draft saved Draft deleted