6 medals set "Israel's Fight For Freedom"

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Taxidermist, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Any forum members got information about this set? Medals are proof, apparently from silver, but not sure if 900 or lower. Capital holder.

Would appreciate any information: mintage, year, issuer (gov or private?) silver content, price per medal or entire set.

111.JPG
    222.JPG

Aidan_() likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

The holder remind me of those plastic holders they used to put pre-1955 proof coins in.

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Not issued by the ICMC, so not official state medals. Most likely worth a little above melt value unless dealing with a specialized collector.

Taxidermist likes this.
  5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Where's Netanyahu? j/k :D

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Strange combination, as if the set had been put together by some third party. Three pieces have identical reverses (with the symbols of the Twelve Tribes) while the others have "individual" reverses. Obviously the set is "post-1960" (Herzl medal). Now Ben Gurion died in 1973, but I cannot see a date, so maybe the medal was made while he was still alive.

The Anne Frank medal, hmm. She wrote her diary in Dutch, including this (paraphrased) sentence, I think. But the quote and a few other elements are in German. Here is a very similar medal in Dutch (and gold), and the description says it was made by the Dutch mint. Now what that says about your set ... I don't know. ;)

PS: In another description I read that "Royal Begeer" could have been where the medals, or some of them, were struck. That would be Koninklijke Van Kempen en Begeer then.

Christian

Kirkuleez and Taxidermist like this.
  7. Taxidermist

I found this one too:

900712l.jpg

I guess they came in both gold and silver. Not an official set indeed, getting any information would be pretty much impossible.

I got the Weizmann silver medal for what I think is below melt, so I`m curious about the value.

If the weight is 15.4g, and the diameter is 36.1mm, what would be the silver content?

8. Numismat

If you could test the specific gravity it would be much easier to figure out silver content.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

10. Taxidermist

Not sure I can do this.

Would it be safe to assume that if Canada silver dollar from 1935-1967 is 80% silver and it weights 23.32g, then my medal is 50% silver because it weights 15.4g? I know its not accurate, but the proportions are correct?

Yeah, seen it. Another set sold on eBay for $112 I think. Set value is hard to compare to just one item value from the set, but I`d say those medals hold very little collector value. Assembled as a set they seem to have more potential.

11. Numismat

Not really unless you know what other metals are present. The specific gravity test is actually pretty easy. It looks intimidating when you read the instructions, but after you do it a few times it's not so hard at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted