6/7/8 Ray Reverse 1922 Peace Dollar?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Puddin'Farts, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Puddin'Farts

Puddin'Farts Member

Hello everyone, let me start by saying that I have no idea what's going on with this Peace Dollar. I simply made a title that would draw attention to generate interest and hopefully get an answer.

Now that that is out of the way, is it possible to have a variation of the 1921 Reverse on a 1922 besides the obvious priceless Proof and Specimens already found? I have a nice Peace Dollar that looks a bit more "shiny" than the usual satin sheen of the average uncirculated.

While looking for the tripled leaves like I do on every '22, I noticed there was what looked to be an extra ray, but not....There are noticable elements of preexisting rays that look to have been removed and redesigned with the common 6 rays under the eagles tail feathers.

Never saw or read anything as far as a study on this situation, so I assume that it's either common to people that handle 1,000's of common date Peace Dollars, or something that nobody's noticed somehow. I know that it's not the only one because I found one on Coinfacts with the same thing.

The photo on the left is the 1921 Reverse, Right b&w is the coin in question Screenshot_2019-02-11-23-35-08.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Puddin'Farts likes this.
  4. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Could you show the whole coin?

Puddin'Farts likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It no doubt looks like there are a couple extra rays in there.
    With out going thru the VAM's because there are a lot.
    You can always link to what you think it might be and post them here.
    But you will need full size photos.
    Good luck.

Puddin'Farts likes this.
  6. Puddin'Farts

Puddin'Farts Member

IMG_20190211_161108.jpg IMG_20190211_161043.jpg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. Puddin'Farts

Puddin'Farts Member

VAM2CN would be the closest that I can find. It shows an extra ray high up to the top of the rays 1922_VAM_2CN_EXTRA_RAY.JPG
    What I find most perplexing, and why I started with the side by side comparison with the 1921 is that the extra rays look like they would line up perfectly to the current coin in question had they not been filed down and replaced. It reminded me immediately of the 1878 -7/8 Tailfeather Morgan. Being the B2 Reverse though has me beyond confused to how it could happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted