5c jefferson 1995-P

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by gianni, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Also, if it is the coin you posted a pic of here already, it looks like it does have FS on it, so I don't know why you are saying it does not.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gianni

gianni Active Member

The new image

Attached Files:

• Nn.jpg
      Nn.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • Nnn.jpg
      Nnn.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
  4. gianni

gianni Active Member

Other pic

Attached Files:

5. Kasia

Ok, referencing your photo, I blew it up and cropped it and got this:

1995pfsinitials cropped.jpg

I marked where the FS should be and if I am correct, there probably is some sort of small portion showing of this FS, even if it does not actually really look like this. To me, along with the overall appearance of this coin in your pic, looks to me as if it is just a very poorly struck one, either because of worn dies (where the FS also got worn out, somehow the die was polished at that point and over time you just don't see it on this coin (that the polishing marks are there) or that the initials got gunked up and on this coin the portion where the initials were are mostly filled with machine gunk, therefore not really showing the initials well).

If any of the initials can be seen to be there or have been there, it is not an error where there is no FS (Felix Schlag initials) on the coin. Even if the initials cannot be seen clearly.

Lots of things happen at the mint as far as dies being overused, etc. Many times this will cause distortion in features, etc. Then again, sometimes the use makes some feature poorer because of machine gunk getting into them.

Outside of the mint, many things happen to coins to cause excessive wear in only a spot or two. This also could have contributed, I cannot tell from your pic. That area has a lot of stuff going on with it and a not very clear definition area below the bust.

I won't say you won't ever have a coin that is a true error, but so far that has not happened IMO.

6. gianni

gianni Active Member

in real hand with magnifying lens maybe something is noticeable as soon as I think that it is a wear and tear that does not stamp FS well. Thanks KASIA for collaboration

7. gianni

gianni Active Member

Sorry, this is full steps 1999-P

Attached Files:

8. Kasia

NO. You can see there are dings that break the steps. So it is not Full Steps.

Spark1951 likes this.
  9. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

This is another 1999-P. This might have full steps- if none of the dents and dings are so big that they cut entirely through.
    05c 1999-P reverse 03.JPG

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  10. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Ron...imho, yours is 5FS...the contact mark across 5th line on the left side breaks the line between steps 5 and 6...Spark

Kasia and RonSanderson like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted