5c jefferson 1969 decentred

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by gianni, Jan 2, 2019.

1. gianni

gianni Active Member

I take new image. For me is MS65+

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

4. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

5. gianni

gianni Active Member

sorry if this is MS66 me coin is MS67 minimum or more..
    Unfortunately I can not make better pictures with my phone are limited to be so bright that reflects the light at 360 degrees impossible to photograph a decent close-up to this coin, I assure you that in the hand makes a unique effect among tens of 5c jefferson coins this shines at a distance of 3 meters

6. Kasia

@gianni I think you need to do a lot more studying. I can tell you that it takes a lot to learn to accurately grade coins in the MS scale. Your coin is no MS67, nor do I think it a MS65+. I am glad you enjoy your coin, but it is not that high a grade.

Going by pics on the web is not the best thing, especially if you have never graded before. Grading is a lot like other skills, it takes much practice, and lots of time spent in learning to be able to do so.

There are a couple ways to learn other than just by the internet or having a history of only coin or two in your possession that seem bright and shiny and great to be able to learn to grade. One is a book I refer to at times when trying to grade my own coins. It is called Making The Grade:
    [​IMG]
    And the other thing I have found helpful is to purchase already graded examples of a particular coin in MS61-66 (or 67 if not too expensive). Sometimes it is good if you do this with one year but sometimes it doesn't matter that much if you know how to account for the vagaries of strike, etc for various years and allow for that in your grading. It is basically having a 'grading set' in hand that you can refer to.

I hope at some point in the future you decide to be a bit more realistic and don't put a grade of MS65+ or MS67 on that coin. It is not that.
    Your coin has noticable detracting contact marks and minor blemishes that probably preclude it being a MS64. And some are in the prime focal areas. To be a MS65 it can have some light, scattered contact marks, but not in the prime focal areas. Also, for a MS65, the Overall eye appeal must be very pleasing. That means to many collectors, not just to you as an individual. This coin is not as pleasing eye appeal as ones that are regularly graded a MS65. As far as higher grades than MS65 go, these are limited in the number of contact marks and where they are. Your coin does not make that grade.

alurid likes this.
  7. gianni

gianni Active Member

Hello because this 5c jefferson costs 5 thousand dollars? What does 4-FS mean?

Attached Files:

• 5c.png
      5c.png
      File size:
      291.3 KB
      Views:
  8. Kasia

4 FS means four full steps on this one. As I said, a Full Step coin from this year could be worth thousands of dollars, because not too many were coined. Many years are notorious for having bad steps or no steps showing. This is one of the vagaries of the issue that you have to realize. And the coin is said to have the full steps via a MAC sticker and not PCGS designation. So it may or may not be full steps. According to the PCGS site (PCGS is one of the two 'top tier' third party graders), "The 1969-D Nickel is an extreme rarity with Full Steps. To date, not a single example has earned the Full Steps designation at PCGS." So if PCGS has graded this and did not say it was a FS variety means perhaps that it is not as valuable as someone is trying to sell this one for.

9. gianni

gianni Active Member

Sorry the 5c jefferson 1995-P full steps is normal coins or rare???

10. Kasia

This one sold for about 35.00 so I would say it's not really rare. https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/item/1995-p-5c-fs/84136/-6546792969045383075
    Perhaps in a higher grade it would be, but these nickels in really high grades tend to be rarer anyhow (compared to the number of coins not full step and not high grade). And PCGS has graded 359 of this year/mint nickels in Full Steps, with MS67 being the highest grade given by them for this, so I would say it is not 'rare'.

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@gianni this explanation may help. The 1969 nickels in MS66, MS67 and higher grades are like a new Ferrari. Your coin is like a 10 year old Fiat. You may think your Fiat is a nice car, but people will not pay the price of a Ferrari

I hope this helps you understand what people have been saying

frankjg and Kasia like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted