5c jefferson 1969 decentred

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by gianni, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I doubt it. It could not come from GovMint in that set if you owned it for 20 years.....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Quanto hai pagoto?

4. Kasia

And no one said it was a modern reproduction. It is real, issued by the mint. But not put into the set until recently. Not what you are saying it is.

5. frankjg

I’m thinking we are lost in translation here.

I’m trying to brush off my extremely rusty Italian.

6. Kasia

I think the problem is this guy thinks he has a great valuable coin, when in fact it evidently comes from a set by a company just out to make money off a 50th anniversary of something. Probably trying mostly to sell to people like me, people in their 60s, 70s, 80s, who actually remember watching this all on TV when it happened. People who don't bother really learning about coins but believe that after 50 years it must be valuable. Crazy. As crazy as people buying all those commemorative plates that are almost all valueless. Money wasted. If you want a set of 1969 coins, you can put a set together probably for less than 5.00 and still get some good looking coins and pay for the plastic. You might have to design your own insert but hey, do you really want to be paying 35.00 for a printed insert? Because that is what a set like this amounts to.

Then goes and says the nickel was his grandfathers who actually saved it from the 1970s when his grandfather was in the US and that he himself has had it for 20 years or more. Impossibility to do that and buy it in a set like this.

frankjg likes this.
  7. gianni

gianni Active Member

Sorry me english i use tramslate google. This coin is real print at 1969 and is BU is from my granfather

8. Kasia

You used the same pic of a coin. One you are calling it the Moon Tribute One (and you have another post about that set) and one you are just calling it a 1969. It is the same image. So it is the same coin you are showing. You cannot have a coin that your grandfather collected in the 1970s and passed to you in a set that a company made last year and is selling now. Life does not work that way. Especially since the company that is making this set began it's business in 1984, a full 15 years after every 1969 coin was minted. Let's get real. And the coin may or may not be BU, if it is BU, it is not worth more than a buck at most, but being lower MS grade, you'd be hard pressed to get someone to pay that amount, even just for the coin. They are better off going for a higher grade coin.

Google Translate is poor, but if it's the only thing you've got, well, we will try to understand. I am actually not criticizing your poor English, but your ideas that this coin is valuable is bunk.

9. gianni

gianni Active Member

Too much confusion. I live in Italy and I look for information about a 5c 1969 jefferson I got from my grandfather to his death over 20 years ago. Besides being brilliant by comparing it with other Jefferson you immediately notice that it has many differences with the other reliefs..color ... Jefferson face size ... decentralized letters

10. Kasia

Ok, accept you have two of them evidently. And it may be a brilliant uncirculated one. But quite honestly, the coin does not appear to have an real value. Sorry. Decentralized letters do not automatically make it valuable. Coins at our mints have in many years had many problems that people just don't want to collect.

But you should keep it if it reminds you of your grandfather.

11. gianni

gianni Active Member

I thought that in 1969 there were officially introduced 5 variant coins to celebrate the moon landing, only after I realized that today are reproductions of today to celebrate the 50 years. So closed speech as the currency is in my hands for a 20 years and 30 others have been in the hands of my grandfather

12. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

It looks different from other Jefferson nickles because of die wear, hub wear, and the production of new hubs over the lifetime of the series.

13. frankjg

Non e speciala. Molto comune. Mi dispiace.

14. gianni

gianni Active Member

I do not want to sell it. I just want to know how much a 5c jefferson BU is worth in the USA today. For me to be an MS65 + Unfortunately from the photos you can not see its enormous brilliance and strong reliefs are official its 5.05gr that indicate no wear

15. gianni

gianni Active Member

I found a photo of an officer 5c 1969 putting it next to my I notice many differences even the profile seems different between the two. Booo my eyes are perhaps different from yours that you do not find differences

Attached Files:

16. Kasia

The other thing you need to realize is that grading MS coins from 60 to 70 is an 'art'. Just because you have a brilliant coin that looks to you like it has all it's luster does not mean it can be graded a MS65. Your coin looks like it has a few more hits than would be allowed for a MS65. All MS coins from 60 to 70 are uncirculated. Lower grades allow for some luster diminishing but it does not mean that if a coin has full luster it still qualifies for a higher grade. I think based on your pics, that your coin would be lucky to get a MS64. I'm being generous. I personally, if I was interested in your coin to purchase and someone graded it a MS64 or 65 and I bought it based on that grade would be very disappointed to see it with all it's marks, etc.

Here is the info from a grading company about Mint State. ​
    "A Mint State coin can range from one that is covered with marks (MS-60) to a flawless example (MS-70)."
    Meaning that you could conceivably come back with a MS 60 or MS62 for this coin if it was sent in for grading. And the coin would have to be probably a MS67 (not going to happen) to even be worth considering to have it graded. Yours is shiny but it is not flawless or even almost flawless. ​

Enjoy the coin though.

17. gianni

gianni Active Member

Kasia very good text. Tomorrow i get a picture for you report i try take max reality pic brillant. ...sorry whot is price value today at 5c 1969 MS64 ??? TKSSS

Kasia likes this.
  18. Kasia

If it was graded fairly at a MS64, the value would be between about 2.40 - 5.00. If a grade lower, at about a MS63, the value would be between about .35 - 4.00. If for some reason this coin could grade MS65 it would be between about 5.00-6.25.

That being said, that is pretty much 'retail' full price and many dealers don't sell at that price. I will be honest with you, I think that if I was looking for a BU 1969 D Jefferson Nickel, one that would probably grade MS64 or MS65 in the raw (not slabbed already by a tpg), I don't think I would want to pay more than 3.00. But if I was looking for one that to me looked really nice and fit in, I think 3.00 would probably be ok to pay. That's just me. However, if you did sell it to, say a dealer (presuming one would purchase it from you, which at the value it has is not likely), you might expect to only get about 50 cents tops for it. Because dealers have to have it in inventory and also market.

One of the problems with this one not being more valuable is a thing on Jefferson nickels called 'full steps'. This one definitely does not have that. Full steps is the back (reverse) side where the building is at the bottom steps. Full steps you see full separation of the steps and each line showing a step is clear of any dings that would mar it at the step. Many years in Jeffersons don't usually have full steps so that if you did have a coin that was like that and it was so strongly struck and nice that it had full steps, you could very well expect that 'normal' coin (like yours is) to really be valuable. An example would be this year, where a normal (not full step) one is only valued at the 5-6 $ amount for a MS65, one of the major tpgs indicates that a full step one at that same grade would be valued at $35,000. (though it might or might not bring that if being sold).

Jeffersons are a neat issue (meaning that it is a Jefferson nickel vs being, say a Washington quarter) but Jeffersons have a lot of different things that go into them as far as what is of value and what is collectible. It is not a very easy denomination to fully understand. I hope that you might read some of the things on line to understand more of what you have.

19. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

20. gianni

gianni Active Member

Many thsss your analisy. I understand. Sorry where i find image at web a MS65+ the 1969-D jefferson ???

21. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted