5c jefferson 1969 decentred

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by gianni, Jan 2, 2019.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

We understand Gianni. But the fact that the U.S. Mint makes billions of coins per year and has only random quality control checks means that mistakes can and do get out to the public. Of all the three Mints, Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco, Philadelphia by far, has the worst quality control in place. They over use their dies to the point where some coins are nearly defaced. Doubled die coins should not exist but do because of poor quality control right from the beginning when dies are placed in the machines that make the coins. To the best of my knowledge, the U.S. makes more coins than any other country in the world, so it would be impossible to catch everything that goes wrong.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Again, LIBERTY being closer to the rim is merely die deterioration. Not considered an error.

As the mint is not perfect, some errors slip through the cracks and end up in circulation. This is not the case with this coin, however.

The weight is within mint tolerance. The Jefferson portrait is normal. And the coin exhibits die deterioration - not a doubled die.

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

In the 1960's, the Jefferson nickel was minted with a higher relief. Over the years, the relief was lowered. This allowed dies to strike more coins before wearing out. The difference in relief you see between a 1960's era coin and a 1990's era coin is completely normal.

As for the design appearing shifted, your coin exhibits a slightly misaligned die. When the hammer die is slightly misaligned, some of the devices may appear closer to the edge and the rim is slightly narrower. This is extremely common, and carries zero premium.

None of the US coins you show in this thread are rare, and none of them are worth more than face value.

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The internet is available in most countries. CoinTalk is likewise available in most countries. In most countries, English is not their first language. I'm perfectly willing to welcome sincere members from other countries and languages, if they are willing to make the effort to attempt communication in English (broken and odd as it may be).

Jaelus and 1916D10C like this.
  6. gianni

gianni Active Member

I take new image. This coin is different to all 1969 5c Jefferson. Big double die face president. Today i mix to other 20 coins 5c jefferson and 4 people me friend see the big difference in this coin

Attached Files:

• Cvc.jpg
      Cvc.jpg
      File size:
      578.2 KB
      Views:
    • Kjk.jpg
      Kjk.jpg
      File size:
      548.2 KB
      Views:
  7. gianni

gianni Active Member

1969 Moon Landing Tribute
    5c Jefferson Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) condition. The year man first walked on the moon.

Attached Files:

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

This was created by dies pressed with worn out hubs. New hubs for nickels came out in 1971. For cents, new hubs were made in 1969 - both with more shallow relief. They spread over time, so the edge lettering touches the rim.

9. gianni

gianni Active Member

Yes, exactly the edge lettering touches the rim at the face Jefferson.
    You can consider a rarity of the coin inserted between the 5 in the Moon Landing Tribute collection ??

10. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

??????
    Makes no sense.

11. Kasia

Moon Landing Tribute? A simple, common, non-rare regular nickel that was minted in 1969? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

12. gianni

gianni Active Member

Yes, set 5 coins 1969 special pack

Attached Files:

• 1969.jpg
      1969.jpg
      File size:
      132.9 KB
      Views:
  13. gianni

gianni Active Member

The normal 5c Jeff 1969 weight UNC is max 5,00gr but this is 5,05gr (Over regular weight) the edge lettering 'LIBERTY' touches the rim

14. Kasia

So?

15. Kasia

Ok, so you have what seems to be an aftermarket type set of coins. Sort of like making money off regular minted coins. This does not make the nickel a tribute nickel. It is still a regular nickel that someone took and put with a number of other coins and re-sold at a higher rate. Probably later and sold as some sort of anniversary commemorative.

Enjoy the coins but the small weight difference is not enough. The weight of a nickel is 5 grams with a tolerance of +/- 0.194 gram. Your 5.05 gram weight is within tolerance.

16. Kasia

17. gianni

gianni Active Member

Excuse you mean that the 5 coins contained in this package offered by gov.mint are not real official coins issued in 1969 by Denver ???

18. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Correct.

These are NOT US Gov't packaging.
    They are real US coins.

Some other company put together the package.

There is no Official 1969 Moon Landing sets. Recently ,with the upcoming release of real moon landing coinage, there's been a gigantic influx of "Moon landing" coins/sets that have come out too.

19. Kasia

They are real coins. The GovMint company probably ordered a bunch of these coins sometime from other collectors/dealers --- basically ones where the coins look uncirculated (may or may not actually be actually uncirculated) and then put them together in sets to sell. The coins are real. They are not always BU (BU means Brilliant Uncirculated) and a coin that is a slider (ones that have some circulation wear, but for people who don't know how to tell it, 'look' uncirculated) sometimes is marketed as uncirculated.... BU normally a term applied by people to indicate a lower uncirculated grade, and not gem quality (MS65/66 or above).

You will probably never get a true BU/Gem quality coin in these because all of those have been culled to get graded separately or just saved by others who got to the coins first before they got to the company. Maybe sometimes if for whatever reason this company would purchase straight from the mint, but doubtful. In any case, they could not have done so for the 1969 coins, as this company was founded in 1984....15 years after the coins were minted by the U.S.

alurid likes this.
  20. Kasia

I actually would not be surprised if this is a "new" product of theirs.... put together to commemorate the 50th anniversary of this Moon Landing. Sounds like it is. Anyways, the coins are not quality BU in almost all cases, and even if you do get a technically uncirculated quality coin, it is going to be a lower MS grade.... probably MS63 at best. At that grade, these coins really have no value above the normal face value.

alurid likes this.
  21. gianni

gianni Active Member

Incredible !!! I have owned this coin for at least 20 years before it was my grandfather who in the 70s worked in the US so the coin being 100% official coin of 1969 impossible that it is a modern reproduction

Draft saved Draft deleted