59D RPM Partially retained strike thru grease

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by juslystn, Apr 1, 2020.

1. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

It may be a April Fools joke but it does look like a struck thru grease cojn. I have found lots of quarter coins from new mint rolls and the struck thru grease and other debris mixed in it is this color. Also below the black grease area shows like a struck thru should look like. Some of the grease may have fallen off the coin in the clean area. I'm not trying to tell you to ruin your coin but if it was mine I would try bumping it on a table to see if more of the grease would fall off.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

*gasp I wouldn't dare do such a thing,haha

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I was just saying what I would do. This is how the dropped letters get's on coins but most of the time the hardened grease don't contain any or they break apart before the strike or the die fillings lands on the wrong side.

5. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

The neat factor is keeping me from doing it. On the other hand I heard these work too...
    :woot: th.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

How about a dremel with a grinding wheel .. LOL

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It came out of an original BU roll of 1959-D? Yeah, right! It's black tar crud. PERIOD!

Your "error" experts just wanted to get you out of the building before you chased off real customers. ~ Chris

Dynoking likes this.
  8. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

You are well entitled to your opinion,cheers

9. cpm9ball

So, let's see the rest of this original BU roll of 1959-D pennies. ~ Chris

10. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

Take your pick
    roll.jpg roll2.jpg roll3.jpg

Mark1971 likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

12. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

These have been in my grandpas safe since 1959,they are 100% original. He kept them because they were the first year of the memorial and being a coin dealer he knew they would increase in value eventually.Im done arguing my case on this but I'm sticking to my op..

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  13. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Hello Juslystn , You would think that any member on here that has been almost living on here for around 15 years would easily recognize you coin as a struck thru coin. you may even have a dropped letter coin in this roll because they are associated with dropped die fillings. It even looks like I see something on the left edge of the grease and copper fragment place. A dropped letter if you ever find one will be sunken in on the host coin. When droppings falls out of a clogged die if it is from a date or letter area and lands on a coin blank it get's struck into the coin by the die. If They are real there will almost always be evidence of a lot or a tiny amount of struck thru grease visible somewhere on the coin . Most of the time the struck thru goop will come off the coins by itself . Good luck and I hope this info. will help you or maybe someone else.I was just joking about the dremel.

juslystn likes this.
  14. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I think you are 100% right here and I would not say that if it was a hard to determine coin. This is so easy to see and I have seen hundreds if not thousands of coins with this same color struck thru die droppings . This comes from a clogged die when it becomes unclogged.

juslystn likes this.
  15. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

Thanks rascal,i honestly thought it was quite easy to see as well,i did not expect so much backlash on this one. Their opinion doesn't sway my thoughts on the coin regardless...finding a dropped letter would be awesome,i may have overlooked one going thru that roll. Thanks for the info

16. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

If you find one I would like to see a photo of it. I have been after them for many years and only have a very few of them. I found 2 from roll hunting and bought a few slabbed ones off Ebay sellers. It looks like that be what is struck into your coin near the rim , It could be a retained dropped letter but I can not be sure about that. good luck in your coin hunting. Watch for a wheat reverse when looking thru the 59 coins. I have heard of one being found but not sure if it was or not.

17. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

ive heard of the wheat back as well,they say the grading companys wont authenticate it...with that being said I think it sold raw for like 300k or something stupid.

18. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

This could possibly have happened at the mint since this was the transition year from wheat to memorial reverse .

19. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

yep,it is absolutely possible. From what I understand,they wont confirm or deny its authenticity. That means its a really good fake ...or a mistake they cant confirm. Who knows....im always looking tho,cheers

rascal likes this.
  20. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Which error experts looked at it? (I have a feeling this person won't say whom)

21. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

I posted this in the variety and error group over in facebook,ran by ken potter,robert Lawson,ronald fern and a couple more. They don't even allow ppl to post stuff that isn't legitimate,they will just kick you out. This was looked at,approved,and confirmed...I am pretty confident that they know what they are doing.

When I first submited it...it was denied
    fb.jpg
    Then they looked at it further and decided I was correct.
    444.PNG 4445.PNG

I am not new to the hobby,ive collected for quite a while,i don't just make this stuff up,lol. If I post something,it is worth looking into/at. If I don't know,i will ask...im not asking here.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    thomas mozzillo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted