59-d Lincoln weighs 2.89

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by A1wsn, Jun 24, 2019.

1. A1wsn

A1wsn Member

I am aware it is the wrong planchet
    But what causes y

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Absolutely the right planchet.
    US coins and foreign coins are all different sizes and weights.
    It's not a dime planchet, and it's not a smaller foreign planchet because then
    the cent rims on this coin would not be full and complete. Some would be missing.
    The weight range is 2.98-3.24. So It is a little light, but, if it is heavily worn,
    or damaged by acid that is one reason. Another would be a slightly thinner
    rolled planchet. At this weight even an undamaged coin would not have any extra value. It has to be VERY light or VERY heavy, and not be damaged.
    The planchet is absolutely correct.
    Looking at the condition of your coin I value it at .01 cent. Another You Tube wrong planchet video victim.
    If you like the coin, just put it in a 2x2 coin flip and write the weight on there.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Do you see that chunk that came off the shoulder? That is damage.
    I also see corrosion.
    That also would make it weigh less.

5. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

its a normal copper planchet,. its a worn down coin.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  6. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

On a side note, I remember hearing something about kids back in the 50's and 60's, that would dip cents/penny's into some type of acid, that would reduce the size down to a dime and use them in soda and candy machines.

Not saying the OP's coin is this, just something that came to mind.

7. Autoturf

If they cant afford a soda, how they can afford to buy acid? :) just saying, its just a worthless cent, no reason to give any indication its anything more, lol, just keep it, like I do my coins that take up space.

8. Islander80-83

A penny or dime back in the 50's or 60's? A worthless cent? I'm guessing you have been around that long to know. Kids would get acid from chemistry class in school. :happy: Just saying.

Autoturf likes this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I remember you could get a nice 12 oz orange Crush in a glass bottle for a dime. (Was it 16 oz?) Ahh that's refreshing on a hot summer day.

Autoturf likes this.
  10. Autoturf

Yea, I guess it was a diff time, lol. I remember some kids with them slugs that resemble a quarter that worked, of course im only 46 but they were trying to cheat even then. :) I just mowed lawns, always had more money than my friends. I remember thinking, the time it takes to make fake money, someone will pay you to do something legal.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  11. Autoturf

Thief has a different mindset I suppose.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  12. Islander80-83

For me it was a paper route. I had so much silver in my pockets on collection day, my pants would be falling down. Those days are done. But that's where I got the coin collecting bug! :happy:

Autoturf likes this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It is moderately worn. Brand new it could have weighed as low as 2.98 grams so right now, with the wear, it is only .09 grams out of tolerance. It is normal or so slightly off that it is not worth any premium

Draft saved Draft deleted