56’ just the “6”

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Trot, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Trot

Trot Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Out of focus but 99.9% chance it is damage.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  4. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

I agree - looks like the '6' has a contact/hit mark
    on it........damaged, not an error.

5. Trot

Trot Member

I have had it for awhile and keep looking at it. Was more asking if anyone has ever seen this? To me it looks like a doubled die but not thinking a million dollars just so we are clear. I would think more along the lines of poor mans DDO and also think it is cool. I can take better pics when I get home and only took it from that angle because I thought it would show the number better die wise.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Hard to tell from the photos but it looks like the 6 took a hit.

7. Trot

Trot Member

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Copper is soft snd easily moved.

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

In coins up to the 1995+ coins ( beginning of single squeeze) a separation of that amount would not occur on just a single spot, but as they were double squeezed, over a large if not all of the coin for most types of doubled dies. A true ddo would have affected the whole date and areas surrounding , imo, Jim

10. Trot

Trot Member

When I look at it in person the whole date does look off. Yes I know it would be crazy just for one number to be off that much and that is why I have been apprehensive to post it on here. Just thought I could get some opinions or someone else had seen something like this.

11. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

looks like the 6 took a hit.

research and learn about the 8 Classes of Doubled Dies. Then you'll have much more information to ascertain why things can, and cannot, be DD.

I agree that the coin does have problems. But it is 64 years old and has probably been damaged in multiple ways many times over it's lifespan.

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Does look odd, but then so does LIBERTY, so probably just wear and tear over the years, but a clear, in focus, close up would be helpful.

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The other numbers look fine. Why would just the 6 be doubled?
    The way the doubled dies happen, it would all be doubled.

Draft saved Draft deleted