52 wheat penny ddr

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jskee, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Jskee

Jskee Member

once again just looking for opinions. thank yall for yalls time

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jskee

Jskee Member

best i can do for pics

Attached Files:

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

5. Jskee

Jskee Member

listen i got bout 3 books thank u

6. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

7. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 10.16.02 AM.png

8. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

bout 3 books of what? Im lost.

Looks like a worn die with devices running up toward the edges. Maybe a gouge in the left wheat. Common in old wheaties,,, you will find alot of gouges, cracks and worn dies smashed in there with ample PMD.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Lincoln Cent Resource doesn't list any DDR for 1952, however, Wexler's does list two DD's for 1952, but both are obverse DD's. Unless you have a discovery coin (possible but unlikely), it's going to be what the other posters told you it is.
    I like when people ask for an opinion and then when it's not what they want to hear they argue about it. Fight the power.
    There are a couple of kinds of common doubling, which are not the good valuable doubled die kind.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    MatrixMP-9 likes this.
  10. MatrixMP-9

Listen to Mike Jskee....he speak da troof!

11. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

The die set that struck your coin was LDS/VLDS. As noted by our fellow enthusiasts, when the die is in a late or very late state, the outer devices tend to blend into the rim and everything appears poorly defined. Cracks and chips appear. In addition too the DDD, you have some machine damage going on. When you see a shelf-like appearance in a direction on your coin, the equipment wobble caused a tiny bit of movement at the top of the stroke leaving the damage. Something to keep in mind is that you will see LDS/VLDS attributes for various periods throughout the Lincoln Series. For instance, in the 50s the tools were used to the point of exhaustion and there are many mushy dates (e.g., 1955 poor man's doubleddie) and broken/chipped dies (e.g., BIE cents).

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Look like MD to me.

13. MatrixMP-9

Id say in just my personal experience....I dont have nothing near an extensive collection and have about 400 pennies from the 50s. If I looked close enough at those circulated pennies theres probably 30% showing a worn die if I nit pick close enough. Theres probably 10% or better with a die chip in the wheat and 40% with a die chip somewhere. When I first started I must have posted 20 coins with die deterioration while be certain in my own little mind it was a doubled die. Took me forever to come to terms with it and get a grasp of it. I still to this day have issues and need help with some of the more tricky ones. Once youve seen enough and it "clicks" its so helpful because you can move on to another coin.

I keep all my coins like that in a receptacle I lovingly call my "dumpster pennies". They will be good when the zombie apocalypse hits and I need ingots to trade for pelts and whatnot.

Kevin Mader likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted