50th anniversary of the Eisenhower dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Sting 60, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Not sure. I think it is an inaguatuon medal for his 2nd term and the bust is signed G. ROBERTS 1954. Probably US Mint but will need to check with others.

Sting 60 likes this.
  4. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I am not seeing a type 2 for '72 silver proofs listed anywhere.

Sting 60 likes this.
  5. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

SteveOrino . . . . the pseudonym for Steve Phelps, OHNC hobo carver. He lists his creations on fleaBay.

the_steveorino is his fleaBay nom de plume . . . . .

Z

Sting 60 likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I came across this in some old picture files on my 'computer cloud' drive....

DSC_0671.JPG DSC_0674.JPG

7. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I don't know how many of you remember President Eisenhower. My father served in the South Pacific in the Navy during WWII, so he didn't have much contact with Ike. However, after WWII, in 1972 (I was 5), he enlisted in the Army. He was transferred to Germany in 1972 or 73 to Landstuhl Army Hospital. I do remember listing to the radio that Eisenhower was elected President. Everyone on the base was happy. Many of them served with him or around him. We got back to the states in 1957 and I remember watching him going into the hospital. I think he had a back heart and they were watching him. I was about 10, but I do remember him.
    My father collected many Eisenhower dollars and my brother and I split them. None of them were too significant.
    To me, Eisenhower seemed to be a great man, soldier and president. They don't make them like that anymore. (My opinion, only.)
    Thanks for showing us your Ike dollars. It brings back many memories.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Heck Jim, we like Ike........:)

LakeEffect likes this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not to venture into politics, but I agree, at least from what I've learned about him.

Sting 60 and LakeEffect like this.
  10. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins.

Sting 60 likes this.
  11. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

That would have made a great silver dollar design. Like the real one, it would not have circulated and died an early death but it is captivating.

Sting 60, green18 and -jeffB like this.
  12. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Ike was a decent president and great general but the Ike Dollar just isn't attractive.

Sting 60 likes this.
  13. LakeEffect

Not a particularly nice coin nor an attractive display (it's a belt buckle :) ) but it was my grandfather's. He passed away over 25 years ago and I still miss him. I'm guessing he got it when the Ike's were a new thing, or maybe for the bicentennial...

IkeBeltBuckle.jpg

-jeffB, Sting 60 and green18 like this.
  14. Sting 60

Cool buckle, do you know what metal it is made of?

15. LakeEffect

It has no markings but judging by the weight and appearance, it's plated steel.

Sting 60 likes this.
  16. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

Sadly the eisenhower dollar wasn't very popular when it came out. It never rreally realized itself even yet I don't think. At some point it will become highly collectible though. They are gaining in popularity. And some varieties and any rattler are bringing big money on the bay. And stick a cac sticker on it and some are bringing 3 to 400 dollars. The thing about them is, not many of these coins struck up well. Especially the clad ones. It was the largest clad coin minted at its time. And even the 40% was new territory for this size of a coin. The number that actually get a bean is very low. And the cac coins are bringing big money to those who want them and know how hard they are to come by.
    I went into a coin shop a few blocks from me once and asked if the guy had any ike dollars. He said no and seemed irritated. He said no wait i have one ike dollar. And he grabbed a random clad from a safe and set it in the desk. Said I got this one. Randomly circulated clad 76... said people will think they're worth more than a dollar. He said it wasn't a very popular coin when it came out and still isn't. Totally went on this rant about the ike dollar. I haven't even went back to his shop after that.

Sting 60 likes this.
  17. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Pre-pandemic when I was more likely to go into a diner to eat I would carry Ikes and Kennedy halves and $2 bills to use as tip money.

Pickin and Grinin and Sting 60 like this.
  18. Sting 60

Here is one more foe you Jim.;) 20220906_171136.jpg 20220906_171153.jpg

19. Lem E

Lem E Well-Known Member

20. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

The frostiness of 1978-S proof Ikes is legendary.

09E0CA30-F392-471F-850A-42C2E77B5721.jpeg

Lem E and green18 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted