50p error coin or not ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by justyn p, May 26, 2021.

  1. justyn p

    justyn p Member

    the attached image is if a 1997 GB 50p with what appears to have an error the F looks like it’s been overstamped with a Y or damaged when minted there’s also a gouge on the reverse side ?

    Attached Files:

  2. Avatar

    Guest User Guest

    to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

    paddyman98 Let me burst your bubble! Supporter

    The letter took a hit during circulation. Reverse looks like post mint damage also.
    Definitely Damaged. Not overstruck. Not a mint error of any kind.
    Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Oldhoopster and GH#75 like this.
  4. PamR

    PamR Well-Known Member

    Hi just to start off before others comment. It does look like damage but posting the whole coin, diverse and reverse would be best as well.
    justyn p and Mountain Man like this.
  5. paddyman98

    paddyman98 Let me burst your bubble! Supporter

    I aready commented.. It's just circulation damage.

    And you mean Obverse.. Not Diverse ;)
  6. SensibleSal66

    SensibleSal66 Casual Collector / error Specialist "in Training "

    :oops:. Ooops . You said over stamped also. The proper word should be Over " struck" not stamped . Paper money is stamped I guess you could say . :rolleyes:
  7. Mountain Man

    Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

    Welcome to Coin Talk @justyn p. Hope things in the UK are going well for you.
    As mentioned above, it appears to be PMD, Post Mint Damage, probably just from circulation. Seeing a Full Image photo of the obverse and reverse would probably cinch that.
    Here is something I often post for new members. Hope it helps.
    For the best results, you should post "in focus," FULL IMAGE photos (after you upload your photo, two buttons appear: Thumbnail and Full Image, click Full Image and your photo appears full size on your post and are easily enlarged by clicking on it). Photograph coins on neutral backgrounds like black, grey, or white. Crop out superfluous background so just the coin shows (you can use https://www.remove.bg for free), and post photos with correct orientation so members don't have to turn their computer in some awkward fashion to view it properly. While it isn’t always necessary, it is nice to show both the obverse and reverse, even if your question is just about one side. Members can often give more valuable information having both sides to evaluate. Add close ups of areas you have questions about and make your questions as definitive as possible so we know what you are asking for. And try to have the best lighting possible to show the most favorable photo of the coin. Hope this helps in the future. Good luck.
    justyn p and PamR like this.
  8. Spark1951

    Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity Supporter

    ...imho...your 50p is too torn up to save, here in America we call that a “spender”...or “gas money”. I’m certain all the wonderful people in West Yorkshire hold to similar standards, even if we call them different names...Spark
    justyn p likes this.
  9. justyn p

    justyn p Member

    Thanks for your reply I will upload a picture of the whole coin
  10. justyn p

    justyn p Member

    Im an irish man living in west yorkshire and new to coin collecting as far as similar standards are concerned i couldnt possibly comment PMSL, Im following the trusted course introduced to me by my granddad - God loves a trier. Cheers for the reply
    Spark1951 likes this.
  11. justyn p

    justyn p Member

    thanks for your reply Im a newbie so this is exactly what im looking for some valuable advice
    Cheers JP
  12. SamCoin

    SamCoin Active Member

    If you're using a USB scope, just take a screenshot, don't photograph your monitor.
    justyn p likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page