500x $1 Dollar Bills in Lucite...

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by mynamespat, Apr 11, 2017.

1. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Neat paperweight. I would honestly not be surprised if only the top and bottom few notes were real, and the rest just blank paper.

4. mynamespat

Well... now I must buy it to find out! ;)

NOS, Pickin and Grinin and Paul M. like this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Yeah, the paper looks the same though.
    Interesting!:watching:

mynamespat likes this.
  6. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

If you think there are actually 500 singles in that Lucite... buy it. I'll buy it from you when you're done for $2. In other words, face value... cause there ain't $500 in there.

-jeffB, TheFinn, Tlberg and 2 others like this.
  7. mynamespat

It's a monetary example of Schrodinger's cat. You don't know if there's $500 in there until you cut it open somehow. It both simultaneously exists and doesn't exist until it is opened up and observed.

8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd be astonished if it was more than 2 bucks. It looks like a novelty paperweight that probably sold for $10 or $15 when it was new.

Paul M. and mynamespat like this.
  9. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I once worked for a company that made those. There is only two dollars in that lucite block. The rest of the pack is just plain paper. You can not salvage those two one dollar bills as they have absorbed some of the lucite when it was poured into the block.

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Here is a description from an old Ebay listing
    Quote - " $500.00 Acrylic Paperweight
    You are bidding on a "$500.00" Paperweight. The bills are encased in crystal clear Acrylic. The five bundles of 100 one dollar bills look authentic but only two are real.

You will be proud to display this conversation starter on your desk or in your home.

Thanks for Your Bid " closed quote

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Looks like an ink transfer on that top bill.

12. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Nope, I bet the lucite absorbed into the paper making it translucent. As if it absorbed oil, the paper loses opacity and you can now see the ink from the opposite side...

-jeffB, rickmp, Paul M. and 1 other person like this.
  13. mynamespat

Reality... that's no fun. ;)

Paul M. and paddyman98 like this.
  14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I wonder if the donor wrote off $2 on his taxes or $ 500 cash donation :) yeah it's tax time.

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Ink transfer always looks like you are seeing the other side of the bill.
    The reverse should be as opaque as the obverse, yet you can only see the top horizontal bar from the other side and the rest of the note does not show thru.

mynamespat likes this.
  16. mynamespat

I get a feeling shopgoodwill's auctions are a very circular market. Anything I might possibly be interested in I can find on ebay for far less than people are bidding there (with quite a bit more protection from damaged goods). The purchases probably go straight to a hoarder's pile. They sit there until that reality tv show and/or family come around to clean up the house. They go back to goodwill and the process is repeated.
    It's kind of disappointing goodwill did this as now a large portion of the better items aren't available in store.

Paul M. and -jeffB like this.
  17. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Well, someone now thinks it is worth a bid of $101. Plus shipping, plus handling fee. I think someone is going to be very disappointed.

Paul M. likes this.
  18. mynamespat

:greedy::wideyed::hungry::woot::headphone::yawn::watching::sour::banghead::depressed::grumpy::hungover::hurting::dead:

19. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I wonder how Goodwill respond to a lawsuit when they clearly say it is 500 $1 bills but the buyer find it is not.

Paul M. likes this.
  20. mynamespat

No, the sad thing about small stakes borderline rip-offs is that the person who is at a loss will probably be too ashamed to ever admit to it. ...that's not even the worst I saw while going thru the listings. From what I can see, the listings are done either regionally or by-store. Thus there appears to be a broad range of different approaches.. some of which are completely unethical at the least.

sakata and Paul M. like this.
  21. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Hello all, Meow knows this is an old post but Meow has something to add in regards. Meow has come into paw with one of these today. Meow has studied it closely and can say by just using simple logic that this is nothing but $2 incased in acrylic. At least the one Meow has, has a bill with a serial number ending with one to at least to seem a hair more convincing than the one pictured here.
    OK, So it does look pretty darn real. But with a 1969 series bill on the front in crisp condition, it would look like it was made in 1969 or the 70s. Meow looked up inflation numbers and see that from 1969 to present a dollar is worth 7 times less. So at the time of making, the brick was worth nearly $3,500 in todays spendable value. There is no way there would be a commercial application for such a thing. A novelty to place on a desk that could buy third of a new car makes no sense.

Jaelus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted